Saturday, August 06, 2022

Invitation to A group ride from Caterham 10 August

As we rarely venture so far East, the route is a repeat of last year’s ride to the Bucks Head at Godden Green. 

The route, as recce’d is 23 miles to Godden Green and then after lunch, 28 to the Flower Farm Cafe just outside Godstone. It then continues a further 12 miles to Banstead where we can either head for home or stop for a cooling ice cream at Pistachios first. 

Totals for Caterham to Banstead are 63 miles and 4,587ft elevation. 

As a longer than average ride, hilly and on a day forecast to be hot I anticipate that all groups will be at a slower than average pace as the aim will be to enjoy the stunning views and rarely used roads. 

The Day Centre at Caterham was very generous with their cakes and pastries last time and just asked for a voluntary donation so can I please ask you to remember to bring some loose change. 

I’d also mention that I found it useful to have a slab of bread pudding in my pocket to dip into over the course of the recce and I’d recommend that you bring an emergency energy bar (or whatever you find useful) and also 2 water bottles. 

If anyone would like to try this ride but is daunted by the distance/elevation, I do have a shorter route that cuts out a section after lunch. The totals for this ride are 54 miles and 2,952ft to Banstead. If there’s a few wanting to do this route I can put together a group but please be aware that the short cut hasn’t been recce’d by myself/sub leaders. 

If you could let me know by 6pm Monday evening if you’d like to join the ride and let me know which route you’d prefer. My email is janice.dawes@gmail.com. 

No comments: