Thursday, February 23, 2023

Ride Report A’s – Redhill 22 February

We mustered 11 hardy riders for my ride, planned and reccied in clear dry weather where the prospect of scenic views would be some compensation for the number of climbs. Other regular riders either had prior commitments or perhaps had studied the gloomy weather forecast.

Anticipating a more normal turnout of 20+ I had recruited two co-leaders, Janice and Neil. In the end I decided to stick with the plan, so we had groups of 3 and 4 which at least minimised the need for back markers and reduced the risk of puncture delays.

Most riders arrived at Redhill damp, but spirits were restored with hot drinks and homemade cakes. My group of SueC and DaveF set off first but were halted at Outwood windmill by our first (and only puncture). It’s a scenic location and we were educated by Tim G’s expert lesson on the mill’s history to his B-group followers.

The route allowed plenty of opportunities to take shortcuts, but my group were resolute in their insistence on getting the full experience, even though we were behind schedule. Most of the morning roads were quiet, especially Caterfield Lane which was closed for most of its length, seemingly because of just one pothole.

We arrived at the White Hart after a damp descent of Tilburstow to Godstone, to a good lunch, and after sorting out the complex payment arrangement we were on our way just after 2. We had 4 climbs to tea, all accomplished with aplomb, and 3 descents on messy roads with no mishaps. Sue left us at Banstead, Dave and I met Simon and Richard in Chai’s Coffeeshop, thankfully to find that even Patrick, passing this way earlier had not managed to consume all the cake.

Janice's group were next to leave.

As I was getting ready for the ride it was raining and was as dismal as had been forecast. However, with a group to lead there was nothing for it but to put on the rain jacket and head out.

I met up with Frances in Banstead and we arrived in good time in Redhill where there was a full turnout of all who had booked to be on the ride. Also a great selection of scones and cakes to prepare us for the hills ahead. Spirits restored!

With the recce still in my legs I was relieved that my group of Brian, Patrick and Dave W were happy that we should aim for an easy paced ride. The roads were wet but rain mostly held off and we made good progress passing the first group at the Outwood Windmill as they had stopped to mend Dave F’s puncture.

Garmin told me that there was only one climb in the morning (Tilburstow) although my legs counted a few more.

We were ready for lunch when we arrived in Godstone but proceeded to cause great confusion by ordering our pre-ordered sandwiches which meant the kitchen received a double order. It was eventually sorted out and all was forgiven as the sandwiches were excellent and indeed high praise was given when it was observed that they rivalled those from the Pineapple.

Tempting though it was to linger we set off again and I left my rain jacket in my pocket. A wise move given the heat generated by the 4 further climbs acknowledged by garmin. Dave W sought a knee friendly route home so 3 of us stayed on course until Brian left us after Farthing Down. No fine views of London today but luckily we’d all seen it before and could use our imagination.

Arriving in Banstead I left Patrick to explore new coffee and cake options and he settled on Chai Coffee shop which was given his seal of approval.

A lovely route by Dave V and the miserable weather was more than compensated for by the company (and the great sandwich). Thanks all!

Followed by Neil's group.

I was the last to leave Redhill with Frances, Richard and Simon.

Navigation was no problem as my bike could still remember the route from Monday's very pleasant recce. Keeping the group together was also no problem as my legs could remember the recce too. As I puffed along I could hear the conversations just behind me. By the time we were approaching Tilburstow Hill, and closer to lunch, I had resorted to leading from the back.

The lunch sandwiches were very good and then we set off on Dave's afternoon of hill climbing,

Responsibilities were shared. I indicated the bottom of each hill. Frances, Richard and Simon took it in turns to show me where the top of the hill was. This method worked well and we were soon at Banstead.

Here the others headed for teashops and home, while I headed downhill for a quiet evening and an early night.

Thanks to all for your forbearance.

                   
                 

Thanks to everyone who turned out in discouraging weather and stayed the course. I even heard talk of riding it again in better weather. Particular thanks to Janice and Neil for leading their groups.




No comments: