Wednesday, April 26, 2023

 First Group B's  from Ellery Hall

A cold day but no rain, Saw 12 head off in my first group, heading West thru Shepperton and past the enormous Shepperton studios, Netflix, development, it's going to be one of the biggest studios outside the USA.




Onto Staines along the very rutted and potholed Laleham road. It was a good pace and we were soon at Wraysbury and a little detour for a photo outside the Windmill folly. Only a few more miles bought us to Datchet and lunch at the Royal Stag.

I hadn't booked lunch, so I opted for the Bridge cafe next door, it's a church community cafe run by volunteers, it was very busy and I managed to get the only seat next to a charming mature lady, who was herself a volunteer, but had had a fall a broken her hip. She regaled me with tales of her career as a drama teacher at Eton College and having our dear old PM, Boris Johnson as a pupil.

Back to the pub to tear the dinners away from the comfort of the private dining room and on towards our tea stop, Onto Old Windsor, I was tempted to take a right turn up Crimp Hill, but the Dr Jekyll side of me won another day. Just before reaching Egham, a pothole took out Bernard, luckily with just bruised pride.

 

Egham reached and onto Staines and the river path to Laleham and Chertsey bridge. We were soon sailing down Docket Eddy Lane to tea at Nauticailia. On arriving too soon discovered that the A's had beaten us there.

It was a very pleasant surprise to see so many Wayfarers for tea, loads of chatter, tea and cake. Many thanks, Steph for a great organisation, I can't take any credit, I just followed Steph's route. Many thanks to Tim G for back marking,

Tony..

No comments: