Friday, November 18, 2005

16th November 2005

Hello Wayfarers and friends

I have been up to my neck in Poppy Appeal accounting, hence a delayed newsletter. Thanks to Rob (and Ruth) and Ed for helping the Banstead Poppy Appeal.

Following up on an earlier note, Pete Barnard advises that the Carol Concert mooted for cyclists/ramblers at Walton on the Hill will not take place this year due to short notice, but please note that a provisional date of 10 Dec 06 has been set for next year's event.

Hi Brian As we will be off to Oz and NZ from 18 Nov (Heathrow 6am - with Frank C) we think it would be a good idea if you delete us from your email circulation list for now. We shall be thinking of you all, especially on Wednesday mornings, and hope you all enjoy your various Xmas and New Year activities and festivities, with or without bikes. We shall catch up with everyone on our return. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all. Doreen and Ron.

Thanks to Terry and his helpers for another enjoyable downhill competition from Norwood Hill towards Charlwood, with about thirty entrants and won in fine style again by John Mason, with Grant and Pete B again in close contention. We adjourned to the Rising Sun only to find lunch-time food no longer available, then to the Half Moon - closed for refurbishment and finally to The Greyhound, an already busy Hungry Horse pub, with too few staff. The food and drink was excellent. We had an outdoor award presentation, with special thanks to Ed, who had, as always, created the shield for the winner John - needing one more win for his hat-trick. We got a bit split up afterwards, but most found their way to Denbighs for tea and tactics review.

Phil led fifteen 'C' group from Claygate, comprising Lynda, Beryl, Carol, Anita and Helga, Alan, Ron, Mark, two Johns, Dennis, Dave, Geoff and me. I can't remember if Roger was there and I hope Harold's cold is better. We took a pretty off-road route across Claygate Common, Princes Covert and Ashtead Common to Epsom. The winding route through Ashtead Common was particularly attractive with the autumnal colours everywhere. Helga had a spill but she was OK and so was her bike. I think some of us found the hills a bit steep, in particular one on the racecourse with a soft sand surface and hoof prints. I had to walk that one. We lunched at the Derby Arms. Tea was to be at Ewell. I'll take a map another time to find out what sort of return journey that might involve. It was not until I recognised Kingston Bypass that I realised I had followed a home-going group. We were approaching the Tolworth Tower and Mark gave me a quiet route in the direction of Esher. I must have taken a wrong turn and after a mile or so found myself going east along the service road alongside Kingston Bypass. I continued back to Tolworth roundabout and on to a westerly heading until reaching Scilly Isles roundabout and the long hill to Esher. At least after 40mls I reached Addlestone before needing lights. Think I'll change to a softer saddle! Regards, Albert

Olleh Brian

No comments: