Thursday, November 03, 2005

2nd November 2005

Hello Wayfarers and friends

Yesterday's 'A' ride was a wash out! But I think all 18 of us who were on it enjoyed themselves, I (Jen) certainly did. Cobham was 11s and Bob, Brian, Pete M, Pete B, Frank H, Frank C, Ray, Terry, John S, John, Irene, Pam, Grant, Graham, Les, Vic, Ed & Me, all headed to Effingham and upwards on shocker of a 1 in 7 climb to Ranmore Common Rd (where the heavens opened). But we survived and continued up to the top of Staple Lane and DOWN it, which was a real treat for me. The Horse & Groom pub in Merrow was very welcoming, considering I'd told them we'd be about 13, and laid us 2 tables near each other. Luckily they had a real ale festival on too. The food was understandably a bit delayed (very tasty, I thought), but, hey, it was pouring outside, so there was no rush. Finally we left at 2.30, and Graham took us on a very exciting shortcut over the River Wey to Send. When we finally arrived at Ripley for tea there was only 4 of us left...I did 46.5 miles from West Ewell, quality miles though' and rather wet at times. Hope Bob got home ok, the last I saw of him, he was heading towards the bar for another pint of real ale... perhaps he's still there? Jen

From Cobham, Ken, Carole, Gill, Judy, John, Mike and Mary and first time out on a Wednesday, Toni and I (welcome Toni - we hope to see you as often as work allows), made our way to Epsom Wetherspoons; via Claremont Park, Chessington, Poole Road, Ewell, Green Lanes, then over to Longmead cycle path to Epsom. We enjoyed a nice, hot lunch enjoyed by all after a wet ride. Norman, feeling a little under the weather with a cough joined us for lunch. I have since heard from John, who punctured before getting to Claygate, and told us to go on and he would see us for lunch. He didn't make it, due to 2 spare inner-tubes being wrongly marked in their boxes - from Halfords! He got the train and had to go back and collect his bike in the afternoon. Anyway, after a visit to the 'Best Loos in Surrey', we made our way down Ashley Road to the back of Sainsbury's to Ewell Village. Here, Norman and Judy left for home. Then there were six; who made our way to Hampton Court via Long Ditton. We took Mike and Mary home, then continued to one of my favourite tea-stops - 'five on the bridge'. We enjoyed afternoon tea and for me a delicious cafe latte and a 'generous' portion of lemon drizzle cake. Gill then left us for home; and Carole, Toni and myself made our way back to Cheam, where I popped into Cannons for a very hot Jacuzzi followed by a sauna. I clocked 45 miles by the time I got home. Although, the weather was grey, we had a good day.
Lynda.

Cliff led ten of us from Cobham in the pretty dismal weather en route to Mickleham, our intended lunch venue being the Running Horses. All the ladies apart from Beryl had already gone on a ride of their own and I hope they enjoyed better luck than yours truly! With Cliff in the lead then Mark, Ron. Bill, Beryl, Dennis, Roger and me (cant remember the other two) we went up Stoke Road straight on to Cobham Road towards Fetcham. Not my favourite route so in anticipation of a hard climb ahead I made the mistake of hammering down past everyone downhill expecting to be overtaken on the hill. This did not transpire so I waited quite a while until concluding they must have gone off-road (surely not in those conditions!) Confident I knew the way I pressed on through Fetcham towards Bookham then left down Lower Road. Faced with a climb up Hawk Hill near Leatherhead I punctured, found a fairly dry spot under a tree and changed my tube (front thank Heaven). A passing motorist offered a hand when I was putting the wheel back with the forks getting tangled in the spokes. I said I was OK and thanked him, then turned left with a fast downhill to join the A24 cycle-path. I got to the pub at one o'clock, had a slow pint and checked the menu. I decided to skip lunch since the least expensive item was a bowl of soup at £4.50! By two o'clock after another half of bitter and not having been able to raise Beryl or Bill on their mobiles I departed still in pouring rain through Leatherhead and Stoke D`Abernon where I collected another puncture. Opposite the Old Plough there is a bus shelter which I reached in a short walk and after phoning my son who was at work in Guildford got down to the nitty gritty of trying to stick patches on a wet tube. The fourth one was successful just as Pete turned up and ran me home in comfort. I phoned Cliff who said they went to the George IV at the rear of Frascati's and that they did in fact take the same route to Fetcham as me and that I must not have waited long enough. When I phoned Bill later on he said some of them went to the day centre at Leatherhead. Not much of a run report I'm afraid Brian. More a catalogue of miseries! Hope to find you at Kingston next week.
Albert

Some may remember the carol services held at Charlwood, which lapsed a couple of years ago or so. Horace Mouatt sounded out the vicar at Walton on the Hill recently and she has agreed to hold a service in her church on Sunday 4th December at 2.30 pm. Mike Morley is making the arrangements for seasonal refreshments. All are welcome.
Colin Quemby.

Our new venue next week is immediately on the north side of the pedestrians-only iron girder bridge over the Hogsmill river at MR 184687 - see you there!

Olleh Brian

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am advised by Mike Morely that the proposed Carol Concert at Walton on the Hill will not take place this year due to the short notice. However a provisional date of 10th December has been set for next year.