Friday, November 11, 2005

9th November 2005

Hello Wayfarers and friends

We visited yet another new 11's venue, the Bradbury Centre in Kingston, where we were warmly welcomed by the staff of this lovely new facility, despite the snag that the manager (absent on a course) forgot to mention the booking for 40 or so, made formally a couple of months back.

We were delighted to see Fuzz again and Geoff Hunt, putting in a rare appearance. Albert was seen arriving as we left, but I guess he caught up OK.

Frank C reports: Leaving the new 11's venue (well done Brian). I anticipated an 'A' group of maybe 12 members, however, with 'B' group leader sending apologies for non-attendance, our combined group swelled to 29. We had 2 Pete's, 3 Franks, 4 Johns and 5 of the fairer sex. Pete M, Pete B, Frank P, Frank H, John S, John M, John B, John G, Bob, Brian, Grant, Pam, Rob, Ray D, Norman, Ed, Judy, Nev, Gill, Mike & Mary, Ray H. Graham, Les, Terry, Irene, Cliff and Toni. Negotiating Kingston town centre via the cycle route, we turned right off Richmond Road into Latchmere Road, across Tudor Drive and into Richmond Park at Ham Gate, the climb up to Ham Cross was the last real climb of the day. Exiting at Richmond Gate we passed the construction crane at Mick Jagger's house and continued into Richmond via the back road to the bridge, we then turned right along Ducks Walk and through old Isleworth, through Syon Park and out at Brentford. We could not pick up the Grand Union towpath here due to its closure for building luxury apartments, (how Brentford has changed since the days of the gasometers) so we continued through the Butts of Old Brentford passing the home for three years from 1875 of JWM Turner, to the A4 and picked up the Grand Union Canal towpath here. It is also here that our crocodile group of 29 stretched for probably 1½ miles, and at that distance at least I couldn't hear Judy complaining that her new bike was getting dirty, (again). We passed 8 locks and 5 width restrictions in the 8 miles of towpath, to leave at Horton Bridge, Yiewsley. It was then a short ride to Harmondsworth were we needed the 2 public houses to cater for our needs. After lunch we had a quick view of the famous Tithe Barn. 4 members excused themselves to ride via Staines, the rest of us rode a quiet route through Sipson, Harlington, Cranford, Heston, Osterley Park, Kew, and to Richmond Park for tea by 3-30. By this time we had covered 31 miles from Kingston. And unlike the earlier weather report, it turned out to be a glorious sunny day. Frank C.

Weather great but a bit cooler. I arrived in Kingston by 10:30 but got a bit bogged down in Brook St. so it was 10:55 when I found the elevenses venue. Two ladies outside assured me that everyone had left and if I hurried I would `catch them up at the lights` This turned out to be a no go, so back over the bridge I went and made it to Hampton Court where I received a call on my mobile from Lynda who told me 'C' group were due to arrive by the same route. It appeared they were in fact still enjoying elevenses when the two ladies gave me the bum steer. I joined them at the bridge and we pressed on to Bushey Park where we did a circuit of the Round Pond to enable Ron to take some photos. Ron was leading in the absence of Cliff, followed by Dave, Lynda, Beryl, Alan, Bill, John, Mark, Dennis, Harold, Roger, Derek and me. We went through to Teddington and on to Richmond Park where a bit of off-road and a few stiff climbs took the stuffing out of me. We had our lunch break at The New Inn at Ham, after which it was back to Kingston for tea. We had lost Derek early on with a broken mudguard at Bushey Park and before arriving back at Kingston Alan and Harold peeled off for home. At least I got my pint and Harold shared his sandwich with me. The tea was OK also but I was unable to remonstrate with the two ladies. Perhaps they were locked in the lavatory! I clocked up 42 miles and arrived home at 4:55pm. See you next week at Claygate. Albert

For some next week, it's Dorking and our annual downhill competition from Norwood Hill towards Charlwood - see you there!

Olleh Brian

No comments: