Friday, June 26, 2009

Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Incident at Weybridge Day Centre
Dear Midweek Wayfarer
I have been notified of an incident that occurred on Wednesday at the Weybridge Centre, that has strained our relations with the Centre, and potentially with all the other centres run by the Council.

I have referred before (last October) to the need to leave the ramped access and entrance to the Centres unobstructed, arising from access problems at the Brunton Centre, Caterham. Visitors to the centres may have problems with balance or vision, use walking frames or wheelchairs, or need helpers.

I understand that on Wednesday, the ramp to the main entrance to the Weybridge centre was obstructed and an elderly user had difficulty in gaining access. In the absence of any response, the problem bike therefore had to be moved. I do not know to whom it belonged but according to the Centre, the owner on finding it moved came back into the Centre and was extremely abusive to the Centre Manager and volunteers.

I have spoken with the manager, who declined to repeat to me the language used. In the absence of any name, I have not been able to speak to the person concerned to hear the other side of the story. The consequence, however, is very clear: any repetition will seriously prejudice our continued use of the Centre. I have given our most sincere apologies and assurance that we will respect the needs of users of the centre to have full access, unimpeded by thoughtlessly parked cycles. The Centre also pointed out that somebody had abandoned an unwanted tyre outside the centre, which the staff would have been very happy to dispose of.

We are always made most welcome by the all the Council and Independent Day Centres that we use. I am sure that we do not want to damage what have been harmonious relations, certainly in the months that I have been associated with the Wayfarers, and find in turn that our access is denied.

The illustration above shows access problems that arose at Caterham, in that case resolved most amicably.

I am sure that in future we will all respect the access needs of users of all the centres that receive us and show every courtesy to our hosts.

I would be grateful if this message can be brought to the attention of those who do not have access to a personal computer.

Many thanks

Jeff Tollerman

Rides Secretary

1 comment:

Pete said...

A very sad incident the first time in my experience any one has been unpleasant to our day centres
From Pete M