Wednesday, February 24, 2010

B Group Feb 24th

Puncture victim Simon Waller en route to Merstham
Picture from Steph

Hungers End Merstham for coffee. Not the most popular place, only 7 or 8 of us from North Cheam. One puncture on the way, expertly and extravagantly mended, extravagant inasmuch as Simon discarded the old tube with the remark “I never mend punctures”. The discarded tube was gratefully received by someone who did mend punctures.
Coffee at the little cafe in the High Street. Stephanie said she had to wash her hair and so deserted us and Tony said he couldn’t keep up with the A group so he joined us - I’m not sure whether that’s a fair swap! So the exclusive group was: Dave, Ian, Terry, Tony and me. Only then did I realise that I was supposed to be leading. (My excuse, such as it is, was that I had been out all day on Tuesday, home late and up in a rush). The BBC forecast was for heavy rain so I thought a shorter ride might be a good idea so we went to the Denbies at Dorking for lunch. I “led” sans map, in fact what happened was I cycled in front with Terry correcting my mistakes from behind. Lunch at Denbies was quite good, Ian consumed two bottles of wine and wobbled off homeward. The rest of us were taken by Terry the back way to Cobham, a lot of it being away from the traffic. Tea at Sainsbury’s and then we went our various ways.
Regards
Bernard

1 comment:

Pete said...

Not Simons day his chain broke after leaving 11s he then joined it up outside the gear pulleys but still managed a full day with Jeffs group
Observed by Pete in passing