Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mark Roy

My photo appeared in this weeks blog, Glamour birthday boy. I had number of calls best wishes, I thank you for this. I don't know why Albert posted my picture, but with every picture, a few words should be accompanied. My birthday is not out of ordinary, but I feel some achievement of my life. I give a brief profile of me:- It was my 85th birthday. When I came to this country in 1949 I worked very hard in industry eating the wrong type of food and doing no exercise; I had my first heart attack in 1964 at the age of 40. I carried on but changed my eating habits. With the Angina set in, it was difficult to walk any distance and I survived with a handful of tablets. Around 1980 I met Arthur Butcher in a library, he started talking about cycling and asked me had I done any cycling, I said only when I was in school in India. He persuaded me to come out one Wednesday and try. The first ride was elevenses in Cobham. I cycled behind him, the ride nearly killed me! I refused to go any further and came back! It took me about three hours walking most of the way. I said to my wife no more cycling. However next Wednesday Arthur appeared on my doorstep, and coaxed me again for one more try. To cut the story short he did not leave me alone for few weeks, by that time I was getting stronger eating well and my blood pressure began to come down, and I was more or less hooked.

In 1990 while out cycling at lunchtime I had pain in my chest and told the leader that I was going back. We were in Rushpur, and somehow by resting many times along the way, I made it home. As I sat down I had severe pain and called the Ambulance, went to hospital and found my 3 arteries were completely blocked one 75%. I had a quadruple by-pass. After about five weeks I started cycling . To start off a couple of miles and gradually over several months back to 30/40 miles. B.B.C. world service heard about this and they came round to make a film together with our wayfarers . About twelve members took part in making the film including Bill & Margeret Squirell, Ron Beam and others and included the surgeon from St Georges hospital in Tooting who did my operation. The film was shown world wide and the Wayfarers were stars for a day. In 2006 Borough of Kingston organised a group charity ride from Lands end to John O'Groats in aid of the Pakistan earthquake. They persuaded me to take part in it as one of Asian. I cycled from Ross on Wye to Clun and second leg from Clun to Chester. A total of 150 miles in two days and collected £3500. After the charity ride I decided to do all my cycling in aid of charity. Every mile I cycle at the end of day with the help of my family, we put 5 pence per mile in a box and that money go to charity in India who perform cataract eye operation free of charge to poor people. Last year money restored eyesight of ten people. Each operation cost about 10 pounds for medicine and after care, that is most satisfying thing to me rather than pedalling away miles for nothing.

In December 2008 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. The doctor said that at my age they did not give Radiotherapy, but because of the cycling and right diet, they decided that I was healthy enough and gave me the treatment. I took part in an experiment where they wanted to cut the treatment time from 39 days to 19 days. so my turn came to 19 days at double dose. The surgeon said to me to carry on my usual life style. I can say that I had terrible side effect inside Bowls was badly damaged . However other than four weeks I carried on my cycling I am more or less back to normal. On Wednesday last from Weybridge I cycled to have lunch at Ripley and tea at Cobham where I treated my friends for tea.

I am really thankful to you all to carry me through all this time, especially to Arthur Butcher bless his soul in heaven who started me cycling.

3 comments:

Pete said...

thankyou Mark I wish you good health for the future and many more rides with the Wayfarers
from Pete Mitchell

mike morley said...

Mark. Having been one of your well wishers on the phone I am also so glad you have written this history. I wonder if a VDU of that BBC programme could be obtained. It would be a good idea to show at next years Barn Dance or even to a wider audience or even use as a CTC promotion. Would anyone have taken a video tape at the time which could be converted?

Ray Dare said...

Really remarkable Roy.I knew of some of yor past having ridden with you in France.Just keep it up,you have proved you can do it.

Ray