Thursday, July 29, 2010

CS7

Inspired by Mark's account, I thought I'd try out the new 'highway' from Collier's Wood to Southwark Bridge. I agree with Mark's comments and CS7, while not perfect, is certainly a considerable improvement. My niggles are that there are too many places where parking is allowed (especially near the Collier's Wood end) so you have to pull out into the outside lane or squeeze through a narrow gap; and, at crucial points—the Stockwell turn where you have to be over in the right hand lane; and the sudden left turn onto the Elephant by-pass—I missed the signposting. A minor grouch is that the signs show distances in terms of time rather than miles (how do they know how fast , or slowly, I cycle?).

Drivers were generally well-behaved, and even considerate, but one or two pulled over to turn left in front of me without much warning and several poked their bonnets almost completely over the lane when coming out of side-roads, so I had to swerve round them (but that's nothing new). The big plusses are the good surface and the width of the lane, although mid-morning there were hardly any other cyclists, so it was hard to tell what overtaking would be like. It looks as if Southwark Bridge is being fitted with Kingston Bridge-type cycle lanes, which would be excellent.

My route back went past St Paul's, through the Wellington Arch and along Rotten Row into Kensington Gardens. I found a way through to Battersea Bridge and was surprised at how much of the south side of the river is now open to walkers and bikes. With a couple of detours and a hair-raising crossing of Wandsworth Bridge, I got to Putney along the river, stopped briefly at the church where the army debated the future in 1647 and then went on along the river to the Wetlands Centre and up into Richmond Park.

Julian

1 comment:

mike morley said...

Thank you Julian for this account sounds most encouraging once one gets used to the signs in places. I am very pleased to hear that the Thames Path on South side is now so good!