Thursday, September 01, 2011

A Group Aug 31st

A while ago I received the dreaded Tap-on-the-shoulder from our beloved (sic) ride organiser, Mr Tollerman. One of those moments where one is at the same time flattered to be asked, and annoyed for not keeping ones head down more effectively! "Delighted to! Put me down for Dorking or Leatherhead"

Hence, my rather nervous presence at Bocketts Farm this morning, eagerly (?) anticipating my first foray into the exalted ranks of ride leader. Twice reccied and once driven round. Pub chosen. Mileage and timing checked. Garmin loaded and charged. But anxious none the less.

Confusion and consternation reigned as we gathered to set off as some realised there was no B Ride, so my phone call promising 20 at the pub, was something of an overestimate. I never did actually manage to work out how many I had in my brood so profuse apologies to anyone we inadvertently dropped - memo to self duly filed.

I have to say, when out on a ride my heart sinks a little when, rested, fed and watered, I realise that there are some big hills to come in the afternoon. Hence, I chose a route with a decent amount of climbing, but all before lunch with a flat run to 3's.

So we had: Bocketts, Fetcham, Effingham & up to and down White Down. Across the A25 and up to Leith Hill via Abinger. Then a speedy swoop around to Ockley thence Newdigate via Rusper for lunch at the 6 Bells, where I was admonished by Mr Tollerman for being 90 seconds late for the promised 1pm stop. After lunch saw an easy run down past Henfold to Dorking and on to Annie's in Leatherhead for 3's. Arriving, I must point out, at precisely 3pm!

An hour chatting in the sun over Tea and cake before wending our various ways home topped off a pleasant day out in the Surrey Hills.

I enjoyed the day, I hope the group did!

Paul Kelly

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Well done, Paul! I look forward to many more opportunities to follow your back wheel!