Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Group September 28



What a wonderful day for a cycle ride - even Frank was on his 'fine days only' bike. From Weybridge I led a large group via back roads to avoid Addlestone, then crossed the M25 on the footbridge, leading to Rowtown and Ottershaw roundabout. Fairoaks was very quiet as we passed by en route to Chobham and Bisley. Shots could be heard but we all got past unharmed and soon arrived at The Royal Oak, Pirbright (on the Aldershot road). Lunch (with one exception) was served pretty quickly and was good value.

The planned 3s stop shut at 4 so we moved off fairly promptly back along Aldershot road to Worplesdon where we took to the sideroads to Jacobswell. After a few noisy miles alongside the A3 we turned off and had a peaceful ride to West Horsley, where the choice of on or off road had to be made - everyone chose off! Emerging at Horsley staion we headed south to have another on/off decision, again all chose off. The only hazard was a low headroom Lovelace bridge (see photo). This bridleway leads to Orestan Lane, Effingham but fortunately below dog level. We reached Effingham just in time to catch the primary school pupils going home but not the secondary, and pulled into The Vineries well before the 4 o'clock deadline. After refreshments we went our separate ways - I chose to return home via Ranmore - from which I have a 1.41 mile freewheel to my front door if I get a free run at two pimple roundabouts which I did ! I covered 55 miles door to door - I expect others did more.

Terry

PS The Surrey Cycle Guides have been updated and are available (I think) only from libraries. Just recently I saw a £2 sticker had been added to each map. Sheet 2 is not available this end of the county yet (I have one on order) but Dorking library is trying to sell the old version at £2. All sheets of the new maps have the same cover.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

mike morley said...

Terry Well done a very enjoyable and varied ride today, the lunch venue was well chosen and good value and Viners a revelation and I suspect a future regular venue for both MWW & C&M