Thursday, January 19, 2012

B Ride - Wednesday 18th January 2012

On a dull day, today's B ride punctures were (in order of appearance ): Ed, Frank, John, Frank, Liz.

20 left Teddington and traversed Bushey Park to Hampton. At Lower Sunbury, we diverted into Loudwater Close in order to deliver an important envelope to one of our number. We then took the Halliford Road, but before reaching the Halliford Garden Centre the leader punctured. As it was getting late, Irene offered to lead the group the rest of the way to lunch (see satellite map for her route) while Ian stayed behind to help with replacing the inner tube. This having been accomplished, John and Ian's route was from Upper Halliford to Laleham Abbey, along the Thames to Chertsey Bridge, across Addlestone Moor and Victory Park into Central Addlestone, and over the railway bridge at Mill Pond Court.

We arrived at the Pelican by the river Wey at about 1:15 to find the rest of the party already eating at our reserved table. Ian and I were quickly served and the party was ready to leave at about 1:50 p.m. But as we were about to depart there was a sudden shower (the only one of the day), and there was a brief delay while over-trousers, capes, etc were put on. Our afternoon route was via Church Path in Weybridge to Walton Station and through the Weylands Industrial estate to Thames Ditton. Seven of us had tea at Long Ditton Garden Centre.

But first I accompanied Liz and Les to examine the cycle/walking tunnel under the old A3, which has been only barely passable for the last 7 weeks and totally impassable for about 2 weeks. The tunnel is now just about passable by bike, but is still very unpleasant with 2 or 3 inches of (smelly) water, and garbage and miscellanous obstacles at the Northern end. When I got home, I phoned my Elmbridge Councillor contact who explained that some work had been done (by the Environment Agency?), and that Surrey County Council had asked their contractor for an urgent quote to complete the rest of the clearance - but that this had not yet been forthcoming. The Councillor assured me that the matter was now being dealt with at top level, including the Chief Executive of Elmbridge Council. The Councillor believes that it is possible that the problem was originally caused by unauthorised connections to the sewage system and this is being investigated - but I am not allowed to quote the Councillor on this!

John Gould


Addendum:

John,
I regret to say that in fact I suffered three punctures yesterday: the second was a mile from the pub. We turned back and I had a third puncture not far from Shepperton. At this stage I had had enough and we took the train to Raynes Park and had a leisurely lunch in the Weatherspoons.

I have ordered a new tyre and several inner tubes.

Frank H

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Well done, John. You are clearly doing your bit to counter inflation. My first ride with the MWW was to the Pelican, led by Gill, though I still couldn't find it on my own.
As for the infamous underpass, it sounds as though Surrey County Council/Elmbridge have taken out a sewage superinjunction. Do I smell a cover up?
Jeff