Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Group 22 February

So much for careful planning! The forecasts were gusty followed by rush hour rain (heavy in places) so I clipped the curlicues from my intended route. Now this ran along a roadworked Sidney Road to Walton and Weybridge stations, popped in and out of Brooklands and used Woking's planet(Venus?) trail from Byfleet to West Byfleet. Halfway we paused on the bridge across the Navigation for the photo shoot and a chance to phone the intended lunch stop. The answer was a blank stare, "What group of cyclists?" Hastily I changed venue and direction now heading towards Woking via Maybury rather than Mayford – a shorter ride so an earlier stop at the Herbert Wells aka Wetherspoon’s. Once seated, I looked up to see passers-by unfurling umbrellas – it was 1230 (rush hour according to BBC/Met Office).

On the restart a steady drizzle patterned the Basingstoke as we tackled the towpath. In West Byfleet part of the outward route was retraced before the turn into Lock Lane closed (but not to us) for tree surgery. Here Ray and Jeff went AWOL heading towards Ripley and could not be recalled. Nevertheless Ray beat us to a drying Sainsbury's Cobham; we having taken in Wisley’s Gardens and Airfield. I made it 20 for lunch and 13 for tea. Home just after four and a meagre 45 miles.

Graham

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Absence without leave started at Wetherspoons.Vic led Toni and me to the towpath. At the A246 Toni and I took to the tarmac and rejoined back of the group at W.Byfleet. I foolishly decided to join the front group - but it wasn't in front - it had turned left. Ray carried on. I retraced my steps to run the gauntlet of the tree fellers to the bridge over the A3, where the group was descending as I was ascending. I met a muddy Mike M to cross the airfield but decided at Cobham to sacrifice tea for a damp ride home.