Saturday, May 12, 2012

AW Cycles (Alfred Walkling)

I have had a request from Adam Fields on behalf of Merton Cycle Campaign for any  information anyone may have about AW Cycles (formerly Dale Cycles). I still have an AW frame that I got about 25 years ago. They got me cycling again. I used to pass the shop every day on the way to work. A real cycle shop! Here is his message:

"My colleagues at Merton Cycle Campaign are in the process of compiling a book entitled ' A Day in the Life of AW Cycles' , hopefully to be published later this year . They have been trading from the same premises at 43 Abbey Parade, Merton High St., SW19 over many generations since around the start of WW1. The current partners are in their late 60's and mid 80's so understandably we believe they may not be around for many more years and Merton Cycle Campaign wish to record the early history of the business illustrated with photos of cycle memorabilia , press cuttings from local early 20th press, etc. etc. We'd also like to get interviews with some of AW's long-standing customers .

Charles Barraball believes he's noticed one of the SWLDA still riding an AW frame. There may be several even!

Could you include a few lines on the blog and also the Kingston Phoenix's asking that anyone still riding with anecdotes of AW Cycles ( Alfred Walkling ) should contact either myself, Charles B. ( Charles@barraball.com) or the mainstay of the project, Hugh Morgan, ( hughmorgan100@hotmail.com)."

Please contact Adam, Charles or Hugh if you have any memories of AW Cycles.

Jeff

2 comments:

Ray Dare said...

It's a long timeb ago as I moved away from the area some 40 years ago I had repaired a resilian canterlever brake cable where it diveded in two to serve the brake blocks each side of the rear wheel.I recall it required brazing and no other cycle shop was interested in doing such work.To give you some idea of how old the brake was it originally belonged to my father

Unknown said...

My grandfather was Alfred Walkling. He started the shop having moved to Morden from Southborough because my grandmother could not settle in the country. Unfortunately he died when I was 7. I do remember a blue tricycle he made for me.