Sunday, September 04, 2016

It could have been worse ...

... on Wednesday 31st August.

Tony Ditalia and I were cycling side by side along Bushey Road (which runs down the side of Sutton Bus Garage) on our way to Wayfarers when the driver of this car:


opened his door, just as Tony was passing. Tony stood no chance to swerve or brake, his front wheel hit the edge of the door and over he went. He in turn knocked me off too. That's him on the LHS of the photo, still on the road. He was in agony, it was several minutes before he managed to struggle to his feet.

The car driver was far from apologetic, he was aggressive saying, expletives omitted, that we had crashed into each other. As if! I think you can see his aggression on his face:


He, the driver, had already phoned for an ambulance by the time I picked myself up. I was quick to phone the police. So within a few minutes we had two police cars and an ambulance. There's a camera on the bus garage so I'm hopeful that it will show what happened. As you might imagine, we're keen to see the driver prosecuted.

Tony was still in considerable pain, I feel sure he must have fractured a rib or two. We were dealt with well at St Helier's hospital. Tony was hurt more badly than me. My elbow was my worst injury:


I spoke to Tony earlier today. He's still in pain when he moves and sleeping is difficult.





No comments: