Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A group Mystery Tour

Twenty one of us set out for what was to be a very trying ride. My Garmin started to have a mind of its own from not far out. Travelling along Stonehill Road it suddenly showed that we had to turn right into Gracious Pond Road, I have since checked my Strava route and it does not indicate this turn.
It was at this point that help was at hand from Dave Vine and the first of many helping hands. Managing to finally get to Chobham and Bisley and then taking some estate roads Keith assisted to find a way through and we were on the Red Road and turning off to Deep Cut and the start of more wrong turns and lots of assistance, I had lent my map to Hans as he had suffered a puncture and said he would catch up or meet at the pub.
After much frustration and adrenalin help came from David and Brian and a little further on Mark came to the rescue with his phone and led us to the pub.

The food came out at a good rate after a little wait and was worth it, many thanks to the staff.


The journey back and the Garmin was still out of action, paper and knowledge came to the front again. The route back was fraught with frustration for Hans with further punctures, coming into Puttenham. It was time to get the group, led by Brian, to ride to Guildford for tea, no more having to wait. Hans, Colin and myself followed on as soon as the repair was completed.

To round up, the ride was not one I would like to experience again, although there was lots of encouragement from the group. Many thanks go to all of those I have mentioned above giving their help to rescue the ride and to Colin for back marking.

Geoff




4 comments:

Mark G said...

Well, I don't know about the others, Geoff, but I had a good ride on a sunny day. Our little Garmin issues didn't bother me much.

Thanks for leading,

Mark

Simon L said...

Me too. And I enjoyed the lifeboat drill too.

Dave Vine said...

Thanks for a nice day out, Geoff. You took us somewhere we haven't been (at least for a long while) down some lanes I had never ridden before, to an excellent pub, and the weather was just right. What's not to like.
I think we have all suffered the Garmin Gremlin from time to time, and it was just unlucky the Gremlin struck when it did. A factory reset will probably sort things out, if not a software update. You could also try it with another route file, in case there was something amiss with the route files.
Occasionally I have felt like throwing mine down a deep well, but I've heard it seldom helps.

Stuart Lloyd said...

I agree with all the above. An excellent ride out and I was only 7km short of the distance planned for the day!
Good to see the CTCSWL cohorts again and meet some new ones.