Sunday, May 28, 2017

London to Paris ... (Sort of...)

The NCN 20 crosses the top of my road, and over the last couple of years new signs have appeared saying 'Avenue Verte - London to Paris'.  There are even signs in Coulsdon High Street. Now I know the Avenue Verte from Dieppe Raids, but there was obviously more to it.


Reading around the topic I found that there is now a pretty decent signposted route from London to Paris, with associated guide-books and so on.  Talking to one of my sons, I found that cycling London to Paris in 24 hours was a fairly regular thing amongst his circle of friends.  The way they do it is to tip out of the office at about 1700 on a Friday, ride hell-for-leather to Newhaven to check in for the ferry at 2215, land at 0500 and ride to Paris.  Supper in Paris and home on the Eurostar next day.  Hmm.

Weighing all this up, I concluded that having left my office a number of years ago, 1700 on a Friday was of no significance, and that night boats were for youngsters.  What I really needed, I decided, was a weather window for an enjoyable ride.  And when Maggie offered to drive to Paris providing luggage transport and a lift back, the whole thing was looking a bit more sensible.

So, Thursday morning, after a good breakfast taken in the sun, I rode out of my garden gate and down to Newhaven.  I partly followed the Avenue Verte, and partly took my own route, as I'm fairly familiar with the country.  Lunch at the Hope on the seafront with Maggie, over to Dieppe on the afternoon boat and a good night's sleep in a pleasant hotel.

Friday morning, another good breakfast then off along the Avenue Verte.  Maggie was going to Giverny to see Monet's garden, and we would meet in Paris.  As I joined the cycleway in Dieppe the GPS said 'turn left in 26 miles'.  Yup - traffic free for 26 miles, and not much after that.


At Gourney-en-Bray the Avenue Verte went through the market square of the little town.  As it was market day I had to dismount and walk through the square.  It was a bit early, but I decided that an early lunch was better than no lunch, as a lot of the route is pretty short of people and shops.  A pleasant break in a warm square, then back along pretty lanes to Gisors.  Here you pick up the Eure et Bray cycleway, another well-surfaced track, for about fifteen miles before returning to quiet lanes again.  After this, I diverted from the signposted Avenue Verte for a bit, as it makes a number of diversions to take in sights and uses farm tracks in parts.  Nothing against tracks, but lanes are quicker.


Open wheat fields above Vaureal, and the headwind that had been troubling me since mid-morning got a bit stronger - but it was warm.  Then, going over a hill near Cergy, Paris was suddenly visible - better than the view of London that you get from Farthing Downs.  After this I stuck to the Avenue Verte, which was an excellent route crossing the Seine a couple of times on cycle bridges, running through parks and being generally as you would like it to be.  There had been a steady stream of cyclists all day, but now there were lots.  

Just before 1630 I arrived at the hotel where Maggie was waiting.  She had really enjoyed Monet's garden and wouldn't mind a return visit.  For me, beer, shower, clean clothes and later a very pleasant dinner in the courtyard of the hotel.  A gentleman's ride.


Carshalton Beeches, on the outskirts of London, to Newhaven 56.84 miles, 3,422 feet of ascent; Dieppe to Maisons Lafitte, on the outskirts of Paris, 110.67 miles, 3,869 feet of ascent.  Rolling average 13 mph. Bike was an Open Extralight, one bottle and no luggage.  

So it's not really London to Paris, and it's not really 24 hours either.  But it's a very good ride for a couple of sunny days.

Mark










4 comments:

Simon L said...

Sounds good Mark. I look forward to hearing how the UK side of the route compares with the French side.

Helen Tovey said...

Inspiring account...you make it sound so easy!

Steph said...

I see lots of small groups of French cyclists coming up the Wandle trail and up to London. It is signposted to Paris in Ravensbury Park. I did it a few years ago in fantastic weather and it is well worth doing.

Steph said...

I see lots of small groups of French cyclists coming up the Wandle trail and up to London. It is signposted to Paris in Ravensbury Park. I did it a few years ago in fantastic weather and it is well worth doing.