Thursday, April 19, 2018

B Group - 18th April

22 of us headed out from Walton DC along Walton Lane. But before we had got very far Ray Youlden fell victim to a puncture. He kindly indicated to Terry that he would be fine making his own way to lunch. John Scott had had very little time during the winter to train for today’s ride so he peeled off and headed for home. But it was good to see him at elevenses. So, by our usual route through Weybridge to Addlestone via Ham Moor then New Haw and West Byfleet we were finally launched from suburbia into the countryside, pausing just once on the way to see if Vic had made a decent job of pruning his laurel hedge. He had and his house was just visible through the shrubbery.

We rode directly to West Horsley by Ripley Lane. I didn’t know whether anyone would take up my suggestion of going directly to the Barley Mow when we reached the turnoff into The Street. However several did so, and those of us who did the extra four miles down to the A246 and along to the Duke of Wellington before riding up Ockham Road, past Horsley Station then left into East Lane, arrived to find them all sitting around a big table on the lawn, quaffing their beverages.

This appears to be one of the few affordable pubs in the area but we were pleased with the service and the food was very good. Those of us who chose the Thai dishes had a very good lunch indeed. We were making good progress with our eating and drinking when Ray arrived but with plenty of time in hand we were all happy to loll about in the sunshine while he ate his Thai green curry with chicken.

We rode up to Ockham and towards Cobham but made a scenic detour through Downside and the River Lane to Upper Cobham Tilt. Then we took Fairmile Lane through to Esher and Garsons Farm to lounge about outside to enjoy our afternoon tea. It is a huge and quite posh establishment these days but we felt at home and in no great hurry to leave.

Thanks to Terry for back marking, Liz (absent today) for sharing the recce, and to numerous people for corner marking. We all enjoyed this proper summer’s day.

When cycling around on such a lovely day as this Lou Reed’s song often comes in to my head. You know the one. Here are his lyrics with some explanatory comments:

Just a perfect day
Drink Sangria in the park       Elevenses at the Walton DC
And then later
When it gets dark, we go home   We try to get home before dark

Just a perfect day              As sunny as they come, no wind
Feed animals in the zoo         Nice lunch at the Barley Mow
Then later
A movie, too, and then home     Better to go home and shower first

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you    That’s you, B Group
Oh, such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on     The faster I pedalled the more you
You just keep me hanging on     chased after me

Just a perfect day
Problems all left alone         Shame about Ray’s puncture
Weekenders on our own           ‘Wayfarers on our own’
It's such fun                   are like born again children

Just a perfect day
You made me forget myself       My mind wanders a lot these days
I thought I was
Someone else, someone good      like Bradley, Geraint, Chris,
                                Chris or Chris

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you    I could hardly go off on my own
Oh,…                            could I?


























 
~ Tim

3 comments:

Simon L said...

Poetry too - is there no end to your talents Tim? :-)

Tim C said...

Sadly the poetry is not my own and you really wouldn't want to hear me sing!

Steph said...

Amazing . I think you should do a kareoke slot at the next AGM.