Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Further update on Robin

Having read the post by Tim about the kind thought of Pam to call him, I thought that I should also visit Robin. I was late arriving at Cobham, not surprising as I had only left home at 10.15am. I took a leisurely mug of tea and biscuits and then set off on my own via Esher, Richmond Park, thinking of Frank as I rode through past all the deer and wondering when will we get the memorial park bench planned for Frank in the Park? Exiting at Roehampton Gate I found it a long drag to Putney Bridge and the what seemed to be miles down Fullham Rd to the hospital. By this time it was raining hard and I wondered was I mad and hoped that Robin would be awake. He is located in Ward 7 North and when I got there was surprised to see me. His brother and sister in law from Worthing were there and had traveled up by train that morning. I said that I was sorry to interrupt a family gathering but they were very kind and asked me to stay. Robin is quite poorly but asked me to convey thanks to all those that had sent him cards and best wishes. I told him that I had seen Lynda, Liz, Pam and Stephanie at Cobham and that they send their best regards. His sister in law said that she had no idea he had so many girl friends!
After half an hour around 2pm and orderly came to take Robin for a further procedure and it would take around 2 hours so I decided to say bye-bye and make my way home leaving Robin with his family. Robin did say that he doubts that he will be cycling again and I did say try and be positive. It seems that he has stomach cancer.
As I left the ward and went to the lift from the 7th floor a very charming slim lady asked me if I had visited Robin seeing that I was a cyclist with a feather in my hat!? Her name was Valerie Burns and I asked how she knew Robin? She said that she was the resident hospital Chaplain and had been so for 7 years. She is a fully qualified medical Dr. but was drawn to her current roll some years ago to help those that needed support and help. Robin had expressed a view to attend a church service over Easter and she arranged for Robin to do that in a wheel chair. It so happened that she is a cyclist herself, married with 4 children and she looked very fit.
So the moral of the story is you never know who you might meet when you visit a hospital and I must say that I am glad I made the effort.
It was not appropriate to take a photo of Robin but I have to say that there were some amazing sculptures at the entrance as I depict below. When I came out of the hospital it was raining hard and I did not fancy a long ride home into a strong headwind, so I headed West to Leicester Sq., a pint and F&C in Spoon's and then train home via the real Charing Cross to Tadworth. I have recently acquired an Oyster card which I have combined with my senior citizen travel card and the fare was £3.65, excellent value. Total mileage today 35 miles.


Above Mural at entrance to Robin's Ward.


Above Henry Moore "Recling Figure"


Could not see a Plaque for this one, any ideas?

No comments: