Tuesday, April 03, 2018

A Little Easter Tour





I've just got back from Mallorca, where I've been lucky enough to be the guest of my son and daughter-in-law.  They go quite often, as it's a popular destination for cycling and triathlon training.  This was my first visit, and I thought it was great.  Temperature in the high teens or low twenties at this time of year, perfect cycling roads and lots of cycling facilities.

The big ride is the Tramuntana, which goes along the mountain range on the North side of the island.  The best way to do it is to take one of the several van shuttles that take you and your bike to one end and then ride to the other.  It's a good day, about 120kms, and with a lot of climbing.  Reminds me of Corsica more than anything - like the Alps, but in the sea.

As the place we were staying was half way along the range, I didn't take this option, but did it as two halves instead - better for an old man.  The ride in the picture is from our house to Sa Colabra - the Cobra - a famously steep and winding road.  56 miles out and back and 8,147ft of ascent, so a decent ride and ready for lunch on return.

My bike was hired, a handy little thing with decent light carbon, Di2 and Ultegra.  Not their top job - you could have a Pinarello if you wanted - but very suitable and not dear.

I've just booked some flights for the end of May ...

Mark


1 comment:

Steph said...

There's a group of us flying out tomorrow so great to get a couple of photos and weather update (though I don't think I ll be climbing 8 k ! )