Wednesday, August 01, 2018

A Group Ride 1st August. Cobham to Walliswood & Ashstead

It's challenging to find an original or different ride from Cobham, being that we meet there so often. Then I thought about a ride that dear Ray Dare led some time ago. (Ray was the consummate road cyclist, and time-trialist, but also liked off-road routes). I searched the blog whilst writing this up and discovered that on 31st July 2013 Ray led a ride over Ranmore Common, (the same as our ride today) and I think it's apt to quote his blog as I could have written the very same.

"The less comfortable climb over the rough Yewtree Lane up to Ranmore Road reduced our speed whilst for some of us I feel sure allowed to enjoy the scenery........It is believed that this path was an old drovers road some 500years ago and appears to be about 1.5mls long". How appropriate!

As well as me, Mark, Simon, Dave Vine, Brian, and John were on that ride, though there were far fewer than the 22 who left Cobham today. (Welcome Sarah, who was having a change from riding with Kingston Phoenix).

Having survived the rough stuff with our road bikes, we were advised by a National Trust Warden whilst stopped on Ranmore Road, that we really shouldn't have ridden this route, as the cycle path was further over to the West. Hardly: the off-roaders amongst us know this as mountain bike terrain, rougher than the track just traversed!

From here it was familiar roads through Sutton Abinger and Holmbury St. Mary - for some, re-visiting the Prudential Ride London (PRL) route that just 3 days earlier had been awash. Having crossed paths with a large peloton whilst entering Polesden Lacey, it was with great relief than we beat CTC West Surrey to lunch at the Scarlett Arms. Obviously unprepared for such a large influx, it took longer than expected for lunch to arrive, and unfortunately for Pete Betts, just as we were ready to leave.


Those practiced climbing Leith Hill on the PRL made short work of our return here, and we were through Coldharbour and Dorking in no time, ready for the climb up 'little Switzerland' and our tea stop at Coffee Active, Ashstead. Tina had agreed to stay open for us, and we arrived at 4.28pm - two minutes within my estimated time before we left Walliswood! Half the Group made it to tea.

The 40 miles from elevenses to tea, with such a large turnout, was made very manageable by most taking a shift corner-marking, as well as Geoff being the trusty back-maker. A lovely day.

3 comments:

mike morley said...

Ged I keep in touch with Beryl Ray's wife on a regular basis and she will be pleased to hear me relate your story well done! May I also reiterate your commendation regarding back marker Geff, as I remarked to him as we were going up Leith Hill, not to take it away from our other excellent back markers. Sue said to him do you like this back marking and he said sometimes, to which I replied he is the most kind and considerate back marker we have and always fulfills his role with cheer and utter dedication! Geff you are a real star!

mike morley said...

Ged I keep in touch with Beryl Ray's wife on a regular basis and she will be pleased to hear me relate your story well done! May I also reiterate your commendation regarding back marker Geff, as I remarked to him as we were going up Leith Hill, not to take it away from our other excellent back markers. Sue said to him do you like this back marking and he said sometimes, to which I replied he is the most kind and considerate back marker we have and always fulfills his role with cheer and utter dedication! Geff you are a real star!

Murphy said...

Thanks for a day out, and to add to previous comments, thanks particularly to Geoff who looked after me
at the back as my legs and back struggled on the gravel to the point where I gave up and walked some on the gravel track ......

Was so nice to rea the blog, and that this ride was one Ray had a hand in, I was lucky enough to do some TT with him one the 2 years I've been cycling, and he was a huge inspiration to me.

Thanks also to Frances for encouraging me to come along (I may not have appeared so thankful as the journey progressed)

Was made to feel very welcome by all, and look forward to joining you all again soon

Sarah