Wednesday, August 22, 2018

A group ride 22 August

We had a good paced ride with a few ups and downs from Caterham to the lunch stop at Edenbridge.  Most notably, the descent into Westerham was long and fast and we were in Kent by about 11.45 as the peloton were in fine fettle.

Lunch was at The Old Eden and whilst the food was good we were astonished to find that as a party of more than six we were charged a 'discretionary" 17.5% service charge. This was reduced to 12.5% as a gesture of goodwill but nevertheless means that we are unlikely to use this as a lunch stop again.


After lunch, the good pace continued with notably fewer hills bar perhaps the climb up to Outwood.













We then turned into Lonesome Lane despite the 'road closed' signs as I'd had no problem using it on my reccie. Unfortunately, one of the workmen objected strongly to our passing through on the grounds of health and safety and the large deep hole that had been dug. We got through but I probably won't go that way again for a while!

It didn't take long until we reached The Reading Room cafe in Brockham where we had a very hospitable welcome and some excellent and much appreciated cakes.




In total the ride was 48 miles with an elevation gain of 2,615ft. The video can be viewed on:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1790079336

Thanks to Geoff for back marking and to the corner markers who kept the ride flowing.

Janice

2 comments:

mike morley said...

Janice I don't think its important but you left a pen and paper at Caterham according to staff. I have it close to my heart, that is in my breast pocket!

Janice said...

Thanks Mike, I did leave the pen and paper to save carrying weight up the hills. Not really, I didn’t want to end up with an ink stain in my pocket. I think you’ve just earned yourself a new pen!

For those who’ve spotted that I posted the wrong Relive video, here’s the link to the right one

https://www.relive.cc/view/1790079446