Thursday, December 10, 2020

A Group Ride 23rd December

I am planning ahead to gauge numbers for this ride, because it is two days before Christmas day and will be the shortest daylight hours. For these reasons I have planned a shorter ride than normal. We will meet at Leatherhead High Street where we can buy a hot drink in either Amici cafe or Annie's or Costa Coffee in the Swan Centre. Toilets are located in the Swan Centre at the main entrance and also in the three cafes. I plan to ride to Cobham, Esher, Hinchley Wood, Thames Ditton and then Bushey Park to Teddington and back to Kingston where we will stop for lunch at 'The Boaters Inn'. I have booked two tables outside with down light heaters built into the canopy covers. The outside space is safe and has plenty of room to secure our bikes and overlooks the Thames and bike path. The route is exactly 18 miles with little ascent. We will arrive at 12 am onwards which will leave plenty of time to relax, eat and make our way home in daylight. I have not planned an afternoon tea stop although Kingston Market Square is not far away. 

As from 4th October Mole Valley council have pedestrianised the High Street in Leatherhead from 10 am to 4.30 pm seven days a week and cyclists are allowed during these hours also. However, bizarrely, cyclists have to observe the One Way regulation, which means you can cycle up from the bottom, but not down from the top. I have posted a comment to the council that this regulation should not apply to cyclists in line with London Borough regulation. Anyway for the time being we will have to walk down the hill for our exit point. I have tried to make the route as interesting as I can, although the first part of the ride is a fast A road.

I know it is a little premature, but I would like to know if you fancy a shortish ride in grey, gloomy, dank, but frost free conditions, with no off road, provided you are able to plan that far ahead of course. My email is steve_duffin@yahoo.co.uk. I am also looking for group leaders who would like to do a recce beforehand, although the route is straightforward enough to read from .gpx. I would be grateful for your replies as soon as you can, but the deadline is 6pm Monday 21st December. Steve D.



No comments: