Thursday, December 03, 2020

A ride 2nd December

In the end we had 19 riders. My (last group) had six - Simon, Pete B, Neil C and Dave F and Steve Wiltshire who panted in at the last minute. The objective was to use an early start to get a decent ride in before lunch and then a short ride home. So 27 miles to lunch although at one point we were only about two miles away. First we headed up Hogden lane to Ranmore to warm us up and then down through Denbies for the views which were good for December. After Roothill we had a long fast loop south to Prk Gate, Norwood Hill and Sidlow before returning through Wonham to Betchworth. The Red Lion was well organised with good food - a welcome haven in these winter months. After lunch we headed back up Little Switzerland and headed home from Epsom. My thanks to Dave F for back marking and Janice, Mike and Mark for leading their groups. Also Simon,Dave W and B for more photos and comments.


                                                This doesn't look like a Red Lion to me!
 

Janice wrote:

Hans, Steve D, Neil W, Ged and myself were the extra early group, setting off from Cobham at 9.45. It felt like a good pace although it was hard to tell as the air was so cold and my legs were somewhat reluctant.

We had a short early stop to re-attach Hans’ saddle and I led a small diversion by whizzing downhill from the top of High Barn Road and past the left turn into Hogdens Lane. Ged very gamely followed to let me know. So it was back uphill (a very steep uphill) to take the turn where everyone else had sensibly waited (Hans also had the route). After that it was a straightforward ride on lovely lanes and quiet roads to the lunch stop.

We arrived slightly early at The Red Lion in Betchworth and gathered round the brazier which proved that the saying ‘there’s no smoke without fire’ is incorrect. There was plenty of smoke but little evidence of fire and certainly no heat!

We had a substantial ciabatta or jacket potato followed by coffee and cookies, which were thanks to Ged who was celebrating his 10th anniversary of cycling with the Wayfarers. 

With cold lunch legs I asked the group if they’d prefer to cycle home via the A24 cycle path or up Little Switzerland and the latter received the vote. We arrived there after a diversion via Brockham, Old School, Parkpale and Tilehurst Lanes in order to avoid the A25.

The group split as we approached Epsom, Ged and Steve to go to The Old Moat, Neil and I to go straight home.

A lovely and inventive winter route, never straying too far from home but nevertheless getting the miles in on decent roads.

Thanks to Ged for back marking and for the coffee and cookies! 




Dave Ward ( for Mike's group) wrote

Many thanks for devising an excellent route for yesterday's ride, which Mike led us round impeccably.   It certainly wasn't flat and it was a bit of a shock to my old knees after three weeks and six days pootling around at my own pace, so I endured a gruelling journey home by train!
 

 
 
Mark wrote:
 
Four of us, Dave, Fiona, Steve and I, set off promptly from Cobham.  A decent pace and a good run out to Ranmore and down to Denbies, where I picked up a piece of wire in my rear tyre.  It’s not tubeless, so a few minutes were spent changing the tube.  Back on the road, through Pixham, Parkgate and up to Norwood Hill, then down to Iron’s Bottom where I made a slight variation to the route, turning left towards Myndhurst and then through Leigh, joining your route just after Flanchford Bridge.

A decent welcome at the Red Lion, where I think our relatively early arrival served us well, bit of a muddle over lunch, which was sorted out with good humour, and then back on the road.

This is where the less enjoyable part started.  I discovered that my front tyre had deflated over lunch, and was very soft. Not wishing to impose another puncture repair on my fellow riders, I asked Dave to take over the leadership and the Three Musketeers set off.  

I had used my spare tube, so I had to patch the puncture.  Except that I couldn’t find it.  I whacked it up to high pressure with a CO2 cartridge and set off for Dorking station.

I had always said that I would convert my Cannondale to tubeless when got got a puncture …



4 comments:

Neil C said...

"This doesn't look like a Red Lion to me!", Brian.
I believe the red lion kept running away. That is Marco the T-Rex and he doesn't run any more.
(The building behind was two squash courts but is now six bedrooms for the pub.)

Dave Vine said...

Looks like a brilliant ride, Brian. Sorry I missed it.

Patrick W said...

Gutted that I missed out on Ged's generosity. Looking forward to the next one.

Ged Lawrenson said...

A much welcomed route deviation prompted by Janice - avoiding the A25 for a more scenic, hillier ride.