Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The Ashtead variant

 The new Hilly50 looked interesting - some familiar roads but not most of the detours. But a Carshalton start? Not so keen on that. Then I figured out that Ashtead to the top of Holly Lane was about 2 miles and maybe 100 feet or so more than from Carshalton - so why not just start from home. 

It wasn't transmissable though - Dave F thought he hadn't acquired enough immunity to hills. Never mind, maybe there will be a small mutation to an Epsom variant suitable for those to the NW.

Then the question was which bike? The obvious answer is the Yukon though I have been using the Tricross in lockdown as a means of maximising effort/mile. I would be comfortable riding many of these hills on that but Hilltop Lane, Salmons Lane and Chipstead Way? Maybe one but not all so the Yukon it was. No need to push myself so hard - maybe?

The outward ride to Banstead confirmed the choice of steed with my time to Holly Lane four minutes faster than riding the Tricross the same route last Friday and less apparent effort. The morning went well with no route issues until the circle at the top of Sir James Moody Way which confused the Garmin - left/right or straight across. It didn't make much difference as ultimately there is only one way out. 

Netherne was new territory. It seemed strange that the tower, so visible from afar is out of sight for almost all the route. I noted the "us and them" road surfacing as I went between the posts that stop anyone driving from the old village to the new posh bit. 

After Star Hill the route opens out with longer stretches and a bit of well needed recovery before Hilltop Lane, following which a coffee and cake in Caterham were welcome. Salmons Lane was tough but seemed a bit easier than last time - possibly because I wasn't trying to outrun a thunderstorm today.

Woodcote Village was all new to me with signs of spring in all the gardens along Silver Way.


By then it was nearly all over except Chipstead Way which was a tough ending. Yes - the Yukon was the right answer - my legs hurt enough to prove it. I think I had pushed myself enough - the Tricross would have been masochism.

My Garmin made it 40.8 miles and 3658 ft of climbing. Just over three and a half hours moving time but quite a lot more with a couple of stops.

Then it was 9 miles to home. Nice knowing it's mostly downhill from here. The legs told me to go down Chalk Lane to avoid the pull up from Langley Vale.

 

 Thank you Paul and Dave for all the effort involved.



1 comment:

Dave Vine said...

Brian, It looks like you rode this today, so sorry I missed you, though I was riding a slight variant.

I have played only a minor role in planning the DIY Hilly 50. Thanks should go to Paul, Tim and Simon.

Salmon's Way spring flowers were a treat, but didn't you see the rare white gorilla too?