Saturday, February 20, 2021

The Local Hilly 50

I'd been thinking of doing the Hilly 50 to tip my cap to old Mike, and, having read Cycling UK's latest doctrine, I probably will.  But in the meantime I was pleased to see that Paul had set out a 'local' version, so local, in fact, that it passed my front door.

Sunny this morning, so I thought I'd give it a go. I took a look at the gpx, but, in the end, I didn't use it, as I know these hills very well.  Instead, I noted the cardinal points and just set off, riding roads I like to join them.  There's a lot of overlap, but my route is a little shorter, being 50k door to door - I didn't bother with Carshalton Park or with some of the suburban wiggles around Coulsdon.


Here's the bike at Mugswell, where I had a chat with some horse riders while I took my photograph.  As you'll see, it's my Cannondale, a good bike for the ride; good handling, good brakes and enough power to make the climbs as enjoyable as the descents.



Some early Spring daffodils on Rockshaw Lane, then up Hilltop Lane where I took a short detour on to the Pilgrims Way to get a picture of the sign.


Through Caterham on the Hill, then down Burntwood Lane and off on to the 'Roman' bit of track, before climbing up again to Kenley.



A bit cloudy there, and quite busy, so I popped down the hill to Purley and I was just-about home.  I hadn't bothered with any of the cafes, but I enjoyed a pint of beer at my kitchen table. 

A very pleasant morning's run - thanks for taking the trouble, Paul.

Mark






1 comment:

Dave Vine said...

You were quick off the starting blocks Mark, and thanks for riding it. Neil and I did the ride today, but you must have been ahead of us. We skipped the Roman road for a ride down the A23, remarkably quiet, passed only by a Caterham 7 taking its daily local exercise. There's also a footway in case it's too busy.