Sunday, December 24, 2023

Ride Invitation Wed 27 Dec – Leatherhead

Wednesday’s ride is from Leatherhead to Farthing Down, onwards to Redhill for lunch (20 undulating miles) returning via Brockham to Leatherhead. 34 miles in total, all on road.

You may recall that 2023 was the 75th anniversary of the Sou’Westers birth in 1948 at the former Welcome Tearooms on Farthing Down. This was marked on the 50th anniversary in 1998 by a ride from Farthing Down to Brockham for a celebratory tea. In 2023 we had hoped to repeat the ride to our August Picnic, but the organisation proved too complicated, so the celebration was deferred. Next Wednesday will be our last chance in this anniversary year.

I have simplified the route to eliminate the off-road section of the original and remove any steep descents for safety reasons. I don’t expect we will match the 100 or so riders who participated in 1998, but I do think the ride in winter presents enough of a challenge to be a worthy celebration of the efforts of our predecessors.

Being so close to Christmas I am not expecting big numbers, so I have not appointed sub-leaders. If you are coming please load the route (link here) and be prepared to help with navigation if you can.

To give me an idea of numbers please email me d.vine207@btinternet.com by 24th - Christmas Eve

Whether or not you are riding I wish you all a happy and peaceful Christmas.

No comments: