Thursday, December 28, 2023

Report for B Group - 27th December

When I published the ride invitation for 27th December shortly before Christmas Day, the weather forecast was for heavy rain 🌧️ all day long. I was relieved that Steph and I had designed an easy going ride from the outset. I was even more delighted that the weather forecast improved to 'drizzle only' on the day, with mild temperatures.

Staff at the DC were expecing us
Enjoying the usual welcome at the Fairfield Centre

Storm Gerrit hit most parts of the UK today, with winds around 20mph hitting us on our way to 11s. Nothing to fear once you are riding a bike, (you are comfortable enough on the lumpy bumpy roads) and wear wind and rain proof cycling jerseys. We are out for a ride to get rid of some Christmas excess of food and drink.

Thanks to John Austin and Steph for leading the ride to the Box Hill in 2 groups of 12 riders in total, and Tim C for back marking, from the Leatherhead Fairfield Centre. We all climbed up to the top of Box Hill via the Zigzag way, at our own pace.

Recovering from the Box Hill climb

Thanks to Tony Hooker for suggesting lunch at the Cricketers near Epsom Common. Five of us riders made our way there. Hardy C Group rider Frank Carter had a puncture near Langley Vale but was able to make his way home in stages by pumping his tyre up and hoping for the best.

At The Cricketers

In addition to our regular B leaders and riders including John A, Steph, Tim C, Fixie Dave, Tony Hooker, Paul James and Diane, we had the pleasure of the company of Carolyn, Richard Cranfield, Helen and Frank.

I am pleased to report that gradually I have been converted to a happy all weather rider. That's what a little bit of responsibility has done for me. On the other hand, I cannot imagine anything better to do outdoors on a windy and rainy day. If I am happy to walk my beloved pet dog Pliny in all weather conditions I am happy to ride a bike to be outdoors with fellow riders to share the joy of riding.

The End


~ Christina

 

No comments: