Tuesday, July 03, 2007

June 27th B Group

Well fellow midweekers its strange what fate has in store for you, and little did I know as I settled into an extremely nice slice of coffee cake and a cuppa at Redhill DC this morning. People were very friendly and seemed pleased to see me out again after my return from France. Anyways there was the usual talk of the forthcoming rides. Some of which appeared directed to me. "Pourquoi ?" I thought, and having not read or seen the June issue of the Sou'wester........ being away an all that !!!! it soon dawned on me. To say that I was a tad under prepared would have a been a mild understatement.

Opps! and big apologies to Brian S. who had kindly noted my mild interest to lead in the spring when previously asked. Never happen I thought i'm not really a cyclist with all ex pros to do the job.

Well with very little time and quick chat with young Norman my original intentions back in the spring of a ride towards KENT was put together. Edenbridge was deemed to far due to the very uncertain weather forecast for the afternoon. So East Grinsted it was with Wiremill as the stop, an old haunt of mine when it was a disco/nightclub back in the early 70s. The loop back was easy via Bletchingly and Fannies Farm for the teastop. JOB DONE !! Who needs maps.

Feeling sort of pleased I headed 7 keen riders Norman, Les, Bernard, Cliff Tony'D, John and myself out of Redhill towards the old hospital, just follow the signs..... Several back turns later and still in Redhill with a vote of no confidence rapidly building, I was getting the distinct feeling this was not going to be as easy as I had thought. Well thankfully Norman saved the day and acted as my navigator. He wasn't to know of course that I'm slightly deaf with a mind prone to wandering.

Thankfully... give or take the odd missed turn we all made it to the Wiremill for lunch. The route B roads via Outwood, and Newchapel, to Felbridge was very pleasent and undulating. Much talk amongst the peleton of a previous night's visit by some riders to the Sound of Music got my mind wandering "the hills are alive" more of that later.

Fully fed and watered... (thumbs up to the Wiremill for reasonable priced food served in pleasent surroundings and no long waits). I headed the peleton out for the return leg. Reasonably fine weather prompted thought by me that things were looking up, slightly ahead of schedule and no puntures. BANG! wrong. Tony quickly put paid to that. But then gave a fine demonstration of tube/tyre change 5 mins excellent stuff.

So we rolled out, a minor change of route... well, after all the others, water off the proverable ducks back! saw us heading towards Lingfield. This diversion via Crowhurst was to lead us back across the A22 into Bletchingly via the infamous North face of Tilburstow Hill. Well a ride with Nigel C without a hill?
Up though Bletchingly then left and down Little Common Lane gave revenge.
Bernard desending like a blade (Pam watch out when your back you have competion!!) The final assent of Muckridge Lane to Fannies brought crys of "Da ja vaux" and proved Tony... soft rear tyre is a serious power climber. So then it was my turn for teas all round, but as Cliff said we can't be bought the truth will out.
Well I award myself 5/10 for effort with a big thankyou to Norm for helping save the day and my fellow B riders for putting up with me. I do promise next time ..................

Cheers Nigel C

No comments: