Tuesday, December 22, 2009

News from John Hammond



I have not been able to cycle this year (a very major loss) but have done almost all my own shopping on foot travelling out every day on crowded buses. I always get a seat!
We were the lucky generation with empty roads - few traffic lights in 1930's.
In Sept 1937 when i was 20 I entered a 100 in 7 - start was at 08:45 am, 29 miles away - we rode as a small group of 16 riders - had severe cramp near the end but got my hard riders badge with seconds to spare!
Rode home at about 8mph.

Just reminiscing. Enjoy.

John Hammond

2 comments:

Pete said...

John Won the Wayfarers Jessop Trophy in 2002 for out standing achievement

Ray Dare said...

I salute you John.It is great to hear from people like you who regardless if having lived in hard times persevered and is still not giving up.

Ray