Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Few Days in the Pyrenees




A couple of weeks ago CTC's weekly 'Cycle Clips' email offered last minute places on a Pyrenean tour led by Peter Mastenko. I've never ridden in the Pyrenees so I thought I'd give it a shot. The arrangements were made by Pyrenean Multisports and the centrepieces were a three day tour (van supported) over the Pyrenees, through Spain, Andorra and back, and a crossing of the Tourmalet, Aspin and Peyresourde in one day. Not a bad package; for myself I'd have preferred a few more of the classics, but lastminute.bike has to take what's going.

And it went well, with a small CTC group of seven supplemented at times by one or two of Pyrenean Multisport's other clients. Long days and hard riding, basically.

The received wisdom of the Pyrenees is that they're harder than the Alps, and I think I'd agree. I'd normally use about a 28" gear for the Alps, but was persuaded that 32" would be fine for the Pyrenees. I'll know better next time... The main difference is that there are more long ramps and fewer well-engineered hairpins in the Pyrenees. There are also fewer creature comforts, but both are hot and high.

The week's totals were 368.41 miles; 33,624 feet of ascent; 17,511 calories and a maximum speed of 42.1 mph.

A couple of asides - my 'Crateworks' bike box worked well - www.crateworks.com. There were damaged bikes on the flight but my pretty fragile Boardman was fine; and a couple of the party met Lance in Luchon - he was courteous and posed for a photograph. Taking a look at some climbs, apparently.

Mark

No comments: