Tuesday, June 15, 2010

News From John Scott

John Scott wishes to let it be known that he won't be out for a while



I thought it appropriate to let you all know that I shall be out of action for a few weeks.

The reason for this is some diligent monitoring by my doctor and the National Health Service at my local hospital which is exemplary.

I complained that I had a slight (ever so slight) pain in my chest and neck early in the mornings when climbing stairs but never when cycling. I explained that I completed 70 or 80 miles each Wednesday on the bike with no problem at all. Nevertheless she sent me for an ecg. The first test with me resting on a bed proved to show nothing was wrong with me. I said, "I told you so please can I go now?" "No", said the nurse. I want you to walk on this treadmill whilst I monitor you with a more sophisticated machine. She stuck copious patches on me and connected the electrodes to my torso. "Get marching" she said. After only two or three minutes she stopped the machine. The result was a pain in my chest and a 2 centimetre dip in one of the traces on the screen. This apparently indicated that I had a coronary heart problem that prompted further investigation. An arrangement has now been made for me to have an Angiogram on the 28th June 2010 which involves threading a wire and tube from my groan or armpit to my heart and injecting me with radioactive iodine so that they can make an electronic map of my arterial network. If they see any problems they may insert a stent or stents in the narrowed areas of the heart's coronary arteries either at the time of the test or some time after to hold them open.

They have not recommended any strenuous excercise until they have corrected the problem / problems which apparently rules out long distance cycling. But they say I must do some excercise. However they fall short of recommending what this should comprise of. So it is most unsatisfactory for me. It's all been a complete surprise to me which has interrupted an otherwise enjoyable succession of outings with my favourite group of friends in the Mid Week Wayfarers.

To add to these problems my wife has just today been admitted to the same hospital with chest pains and high blood pressure. I hope I can collect her tomorrow but they say if there is anything found she may have to remain in for several days after.

I will keep you posted. In the meantime keep cycling and enjoying yourselves in my absence.

Kind regards,

John S

2 comments:

mike morley said...

John, I am so sorry to hear about your settback both for you and your wife and wish you both a satisfactory and speedy outcome.

Pete said...

Hope you get well soon we will miss you getting your meal last