Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Geoffrey Shields - Accident

It was a bright morning, so I thought I would make an early start and do some work on my Eddington Number.  Unhappily, a few miles from Lingfield, I came upon Geoffrey Shields, who had crashed.

What appears to have happened is that dazzled by the sun, which was shining directly along the road and reflecting off the wet surface, Geoffrey had failed to see a deep pothole, partly filled with water.  He had hit it with sufficient force to snap the frame of his Van Nicholas in two, and he had been thrown face first onto the road surface.

When I arrived an NHS First Responder was already there, and he had called an ambulance.  The ambulance arrived a little later and Geoffrey was loaded in slowly and with very great care.  After further examination in the warmth of the ambulance the crew concluded that Geoffrey should be taken directly to the Trauma Centre, at St Georges Tooting.  A helicopter was called and, when I left, Geoffrey was being prepared to be loaded into the helicopter.

I have spoken to Frances, Geoffrey's wife, and will ask again later how things are going.


Mark


1 comment:

PaulKelly said...

Oh dear!

When speaking do pass on my best wishes.

Salutary reminder that this sport we enjoy does have its risks.

Pk