Wednesday, August 02, 2017

A Ride – 2 August – Ride Report



Welcome to the first ride of the 2017 autumn season. The weather forecast was dire, but 16 brave riders left Cobham with me, destination Dunsfold. My first objective, to descend Combe Lane in the dry was missed, and thereafter it got steadily wetter. We briefly lost, but shortly regained, two riders, reminding me always to ask a rider to mark every turn.

Arriving at the Sun Inn, thoroughly soaked, we were quickly served with pre-ordered meals, eaten in front of a blazing log fire, proof that winter is closing in. 

On leaving the pub the rain had become torrential and most sensible folk decided to ride to Godalming or Guildford to catch trains. In keeping with the CTC tradition that all rides must include a tea stop I continued on my planned return route. Ken came with me as far as Ewhurst, where he left to ride home directly via Combe Lane. I reached Dorking before deciding that enough was enough and taking tea on the train. And then the real rain started ……….

Thanks to everyone for turning out on such a rotten day, to Brian and Ken for route advice on my unrehearsed short cut to lunch, Mark for the photos and for Ged for back marking on a demanding ride.

Not forgetting Neil, absent today on his LEL adventure; many congratulations on an undertaking few of us would have attempted.

Ride sats 22miles to lunch, 12.25mph, 1,500 ft climbing, 992 cals,  about 1 inch of rain and no punctures.



No comments: