Thursday, January 25, 2018

Hilly 50 Sat 3rd March

Hi all, this should really go on the DA www but hardly anyone reads it so here goes! After yesterdays atrocious weather when I stayed in bed I thought that I should venture out over Box Hill and deliver some promotional flyers to Destination Bike, Pilgrim Cycles, where I met with KPRC riders Jake, Barry, Steve H having cake and coffee, then onto Head for the Hills Bike shop in Dorking and finally to Nirvana Cycles in Westcott. They were I am happy and prepared to promote the Hilly 50. Having got as far as Westcott I decided to do the reverse of part of the route up Logmore Lane. It did not disappoint, the usual crud on the road but in places very dry and hardly any potholes with a good surface. With the cautionary warning at the start to take the downward rout steady it should be fine. However today there was a very large puddle across the road on the "S" bend at the bottom of the first descent after the right turn going up to Cold Harbour. This I will check again the day before the event.
Met a number of riders en-route and handed out flyers. One guy I met from London called Mark (in the toilet at top Box Hill) he will promote the event with his mates. He was wearing a Tolo Jersey from Majorca so the thought occurs to me should we invite Sir Bradley to ride? If he accepted and the news got out I feel sure that we would be inundated! Comments please especially from D.V. Tim C and Simon L.
If anyone fancies checking the course before the event let me know, it may save my legs. Don't also neglect to support me with the signing on if you can!
All the best,
Mike M.

3 comments:

Dave Vine said...

I wil ride the course before the event. Could you please send me a copy of the risk assessment. On the day I will arrive early at the check in, then ride up to the Logmore turnoff and mark the turn where Ray used to stand. Anything else please let me know.

Mark G said...

I'll ride the route and report back, Mike. I'm afraid I won't be able to help on the day as I'll be away.

mike morley said...

Thank you Mark much appreciated. As David V will already know I have sent him the RA which was the one previously expertly provided by you! It is great to receive all the offers of support for this event which gives me the courage to persevere!
Just for further information I spoke to Eric Flint yesterday from Mickleham who rode last year and boosted the contribution to St. Raphael's significantly. Unfortunately he and his wife Mary are currently very committed to helping a friend with Cancer and he doubts that he will be able to ride. We wish them all well.
Please don't be shy all you fit and able MWW to enter, the more the merrier including the ladies!