Wednesday, November 27, 2019

B Group - 27th November

Pam's mini bike ride!!

That's the way I felt when I decided on this particular route after cycling to Wimbledon some weeks ago to meet the beautiful few weeks old Lilly ( Liz B's grand daughter)!!  It hadn't been raining buckets at that time but as I don't know the area that well - I decided to take a chance and - go for it !!

I counted 22 brave cyclists - more than I expected when one reads a forecast of mostly rain all day: maybe the morning sun  encouraged folks to get on their bikes!!   We started off along the towpath to Teddington Lock where we turned into Lock Road...then the rain started so we stopped to don necessary waterproofs prior to entering Richmond Park. It was a nice ride through the park, not as many cyclists as I have seen before but walkers and deer we did see.

Our route was via Pen Ponds to Roehampton Gate.  Out of the gate, right into Danebury Road, across the lights, right turn at end of one way system then left onto the Heath.   This is where I was concerned re the surface - well -  I think it could have been worse - not sure what others thought!! Thankfully nobody went a cropper!!  Our one incident was Tim getting a puncture, nearer to Wimbledon, and unfortunately the repair had it's own incident which resulted in Pat picking him up and Grant missing lunch as after helping Tim he continued home.  Not surprising for they must have been drenched.

Our lunch venue was The Hand in Hand pub, Crooked Billet Road.  We had our own area, the staff were very friendly and efficient and the food was quickly served - and delicious!   Plus, the manager expressly made room for our bikes to be parked in the seating area at the front of the pub.

I learnt that a lot of our group live within easy reach of Wimbledon so several folks went  their own way home after lunch.... after our group photo had been taken - with thanks to Francoise, albeit, a passer by kindly took the photo to include Francoise.

Those who remained, must have been a dozen or so, left with me for tea at the cafĂ© within the cycle shop Cycle Exchange, opposite Sainsbury's, Kingston.    Our route took us to Wimbledon Village, along Parkside then the off road cycle route back to Roehampton Gate. I MUST thank several riders for giving me 'the wink and nod'....as to which direction to take, more than once!!

One or two peeled off before Kingston and the rest of us enjoyed chats and tea etc. My half hour stop turned into a one hour stop so a cycle ride home mostly in the dark for Gill and myself!

I truly am grateful to back marker Tim and then Peter Tiller who took over after lunch.   All corner markers and helpers and all who joined me on a winters day.

THANK YOU ALL

Pam :) 

Thanks to Françoise for this group photo at The Hand in Hand
Thanks to Sue, Stephen and Steph for Strava data
Still a few leaves left on the Autumn trees (Wimbledon Common)
~ Tim

1 comment:

Steph said...

Lovely morning Pam and yes I should
have stopped for lunch as the rain got even heavier as I descended into Raynes Park. Did get to chat to Richard from AW Cycles in the afternoon who is still doing bike repairs from his garage.