Thursday, November 07, 2019

Bi-Focal Cycling Glasses


A few years ago, Ged put me on to 'Dual' cycling bi-focals.  They were available from Wiggle in the range of strengths that you usually get for reading glasses, and I have had several pairs that have served me well.  They make it easy to read the Garmin, are handy if you need to fiddle with your bike at the roadside, and are useful to read the menu in pubs.

Anyway, my most recent pair is reaching the end of its life, and they're no longer available from Wiggle, so I had a look around for an alternative.

Amazon came up with these, £10.99 a pair, and they look fine.  They're available in clear, yellow or smoked lenses.  Time will tell if they're up to the job.

Mark





6 comments:

Neil C said...

Highly recommended. I have used these on every ride for the last five years.
https://www.voltxsafety.com/constructor-bifocals-clear-1-0-dioptre-strength-i284.htm

Simon L said...

Thanks Mark and Neil! I see they are "suitable for all face types" ... [insert rude comment here]

Tim C said...

Thanks for the information about these specs. A few years a go I bought a pair of Dual Bifocals from cyclestore.co.uk but they ceased to be a reliable source of them some time ago.

I've had a pair BBBs for a couple of years, probably 'Impress Reader Photochromic Sport Glasses'. They are not bad, possibly a bit more durable than the Duals, but the photochromic effect doesn't seem as good; they don't darken up enough in bright sunlight.

So I will follow up your recommendation. For several years now these bifocals have been indispensable to me.

Tony said...

You can also get them as sunglasses.

Ged Lawrenson said...

These are a dammed sight cheaper than Dual's! My last pair, March 2017, cost $85 -with sets of interchangeable lenses, direct from their Boulder store. The're v.good quality however.

Despite what their web site records as UK stockists, none of these web links have revealed actual stockists! Nevertheless you can obtain different shades of replacement lenses from the US - in my case for my SL2 Pros, - a snip at $20!

https://www.dualeyewear.com

Brian said...

Sadly I need about +1.5 in the main frame and even more in the reading part and no-one is going to do that for £10.99