Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A's out of Dorking

Well, well, well just before me made it to Pixam Lane the puncture b-----d struck, it cannot be a fairy they are to kind. We had called ahead to The Farmhouse pub and given our order so we were on the timer for 1.00.
21 of us on the road again at 11.30 ish and we were away, the roads wet and plenty of mist but not enough to create a problem with visibility.
I had been concerned that the route I had reced may have started to be a road/climb to far, but hey ho let's keep going. We were riding in the countryside on quiet roads so what was to slow us down ---- SHEEP of course, we had stopped to chat about the route when what should we see but sheep roaming across the road we were due to travel along, a couple of would be shepherds set off on foot to round them up but appeared to be heading them up the road.
Shepherdess Jennie
Whilst this was happening a new route was seen to be in order. Chatting with Brian I decided that we would use part of the Tri Vets route via Three Arch Road and Pickets Lane were the puncture b.....d hit my back wheel with a slice of gravel. That's it so close yet so far, Mike R offered surgical gloves to keep my hands clean but I declined, prefer to suffer. Ken D kindly gave me a hand getting the tyre back on and used his retro pump."
Back on the bikes and and right into Cross Lane then first left onto a new road leading to Langshott Lane and The Farmhouse pub at the appointed hour of 1.00
They were ready for us, they had set up tables in a U shape in one of their rooms,  I handed over our list of names and lunch orders and surprise surprise when everyone had paid everything was in order. It wasnt long before we had sat down that the food arrived, really great service, and I think everyone
was pleased with what they were given

Lunch over with time for the photo call, so many people wanting the line up, even the pub wanted to take one for their website, photos taken a bit more air in my tyre and we were off, the return journey consisted of only one short climb up Horse Hill and then it was off to Leatherhead for tea on what I
hope was as flat a ride as possible given what could have been in the morning.
Thanks to Janice for the photo

Getting to the far end of Pixham Lane and we started to shed people, Leatherhead and the group was going to get smaller. Eight of us sat down to tea/coffee, all finished and off we went.
As must always be said a big thank you to those that corner marked and to Ged for back marking.
Geoff G.
PS The puncture b.....d had not finished with us, Simon was to suffer on his way home, getting caught out in the dark on Ashtead Common, on getting into some light he found a 1/4inch piece of flint in his rear wheel.
It really was a fun day for some of us but thanks to very good company I look forward to riding with you again soon.




2 comments:

Ged Lawrenson said...

My photo caption - "Jennie - the biking shepherdess"

Dave Vine said...

Geoff,

Sorry I missed your ride, but if I had joined you I would almost certainly have delayed you more. After a warm-up and a pump-up at Dorking I managed to ride to Pilgrim Cycles, where Dave diagnosed a damaged sidewall as the cause of the puncture. I was on the road again quickly with a new tyre and tube. So now I am hoping I have put all those problems behind me, but you never know ......