Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Cycling in Lockdown 2 - Staying Local.

What's local? 

We are now only allowed to exercise in our local area. I took it to mean the part of the City where I live. Hence I abandoned plans to ride into Surrey, and hopes of replicating the usual elevenses of the first Wednesday Wayfarer ride from Cobham. Instead I decided to stay within London - and the six boroughs nearest to me - Wandsworth, Kingston, Richmond, Hounslow, Hillingdon, and Ealing. As for mileage - half my normal seemed about right.

I'd missed Steve Duffin's Grand Union Canal ride on 30th September - being still in post-op recovery mode, (though I did manage to drive out to elevenses in Addlestone). From the write-ups on the blog it seemed just the type of quirky off-road, water-based themed ride I fancied. For added variety I wanted to explore river paths.

Although much-improved, the Beverly Brook path on Wimbledon Common is still a bit cruddy in winter for a road bike. But it's a nice way to enter Richmond Park at Robin Hood Gate. Then it was out of the Park at Richmond Hill, over the Bridge, and along the Thames into Isleworth.

The Beverly Brook - at the Richardson Evans Playing Fields.

Richmond Hill - the Thames at Petersham.

The Duke of Northumberland's River enters the Thames at Isleworth. I tried to follow the Dukes Path up River, but soon got lost in the back-streets and decided to make for Syon Park and the Grand Union Canal (GUC) at Brentford.

The Duke of Northumberland's River, joining the Thames at Isleworth.

This part of the GUC is familiar, being the route of my commute to Uxbridge ten years ago, but the path - especially in winter, hasn't improved. Still it was nice and sunny - and warm enough for a kayaker to paddle along!

Boston Manor - footbridge over the Canal, and the top lock of the Hanwell flight of locks.









The last time I rode along the Paddington Arm of the GUC was a ride Hans led to the Black Horse at Greenford. No chance of a pint now! So I carried on to Perivale, and then on to Ealing - first opportunity to stop for a coffee.

The Grand Union Canal at Perivale.

After Ealing it was more quiet paths before hitting the cycle path under the M4 flyover, and then over the Thames again at Kew Bridge, and into Richmond Park again at Sheen. 

I didn't follow a set route for my ride: lockdown, despite the limitations imposed, nevertheless provides the opportunity to meander along unknown paths and trails. Check out my route:- 





1 comment:

Dave Vine said...

Brilliant ride Ged, nice photos too. Knowing how steep the towpath can be alongside locks, I was impressed with your route planning that you took all of them downhill.