Saturday, January 23, 2021

Life in the third Lockdown

Jennie Jackson invited the women in the group to offer their observations on life during Lockdown.

This is how Francoise and Carolyn responded...............

From Francoise Humphrey

So instead of a formal contribution, may I put a few remarks on the effect of our successive confinements.... I am fortunate that I was in France for first confinement and that I am in England for the November and the current confinement. I now look at the first lockdown as some shock to the system... as in France we were abruptly barred from the great rides we normally enjoy on the pretty Brittany roads. For 6 weeks we could go no further than a 1 km radius from home, and that was after completing a very administrative looking form asking at what time we had left the house, what our address was and why we were outside of the house. Failure to carry the said form would entail people to a substantial fine.... This was harsh but it put us in a good stead for English style lockdown in November and now as we have not felt so restricted here.

Over the year what I have noticed amongst my non-cycling ladies friends, is how short tempered or snappy some of them are becoming, very much out of character for them... It is true that it is tedious to stay in, not to be able to go browsing in the shops, not to meet the grand-children, etc... What I have further noticed, is that it is usually those without a hobby of some sorts who are suffering the most. Perhaps cyclists fare better even though long-distance cycling is not an option at the moment. Am I reading too much in the benefits of cycling? Perhaps .... do I miss our summer rides in Brittany or in the depth of Surrey, most certainly.... do I miss seeing Grand-son Lewis (3) who lives in border-locked Indonesia, most definitely... but I am compensating with all sorts of long overdue DIY jobs (overdue no doubt because of the number of hours spent on a saddle in the past 15 years!) not too brood too much about our current situation. These lockdowns are not good but it could be worse as 20th century history can teach us!


From Carolyn Beer

I'm staying home watching the "Night Manager" on TV again and reminiscing our Cycle Holidays in Mallorca.  I am so pleased to have cycled in Mallorca (and John in his youth used to go on the Spring Cycle Training Camps).   I remember and visualise that I'm climbing up to the Monastery of Santuari de Lluc, stopping for coffee and visiting the Geology Museum at the top.  Dropping down to Port de sa Calobra, then realising I need to cycle back up that 6 / 7/ 10 percent mountain. Meandering round the Serra De Tramuntana, along to the "Orient", my favourite cycle tour.    In the evening, sharing a Meal in a Restaurant with marvellous cycle mates, chatting about our cycle endeavours of the day and drinking Margarita's.  My hairdresser is a mate of Stuart Hall the last time he heard from him, his family had relocated to Palma for the Winter to return to Pollenca during summer. 


1 comment:

Brian Bent said...

Let's have more of these !?