Friday, May 19, 2023

A Ride to Warnham on 17th May

We have always had a warm welcome at The Sussex Oak in Warnham so I felt another visit was justified. I took various sections of previous routes, reversed parts and added in Weare Street. 


At Leatherhead the sun was shining, we sat outside, and everybody seemed happy.

Frances led away the first group and made good progress to lunch and were about to leave when my group got there. Janice had already left for family duties.

After lunch they added in an extra hill for luck.

Steve Duffin led the second group and here is his report - 

I have to say I was not looking forward to the ride, having done a recce on Sunday. I was tired out, but then I have not been cycling for some time. Also I had two punctures on the last ride and two the ride before that! Not a good precedent. I was also perturbed that Dave and Jenny Jackson and Pete Betts would make short work of the hills on their electrically powered steeds. 

However with Geoff Gregory as back marker we set off and enjoyed the sunny countryside. The roads were quiet and nasty Pebble Combe Hill didn't throw any problems in our path. The route was easy to follow and we only found the road really rough down Weare Street. Even here, we met some delightful geese to converse with by the pond.


The outward way went quickly and soon we arrived at the Sussex Oak. It was a struggle after lunch as the food was good and plentiful. Lots more undulating climbing finally led to the ascent of Combe Bottom. After this it was mainly fast descent to Cobham. Despite the hills, Pete still had 40% battery charge left. Impressive technology! A reasonably flat route would see 100 miles on a single charge! Worth considering. 

Thanks to Geoff for back marking so well. Also thanks to my cheery companions, who made the whole exercise worthwhile.


I left last with Sue C, Sue F, Keith and Mike B. The sun was shining, the roads were (mostly) quiet and we made steady progress. Lunch in the garden was a relaxed affair for the others as I slowly consumed my steak and ale pie, mash and veg. No photo is available of this but it did mean that progress in the afternoon was even steadier.

Thanks all for a great day out, especially to Frances and Steve for leading their groups.

No comments: