Monday, May 22, 2023

Cateye Strada Wireless Slim Cycle Computer - Advice Sought.

 I have long ago been left stranded on the windswept shores of cycle technology. Cateye has been my compass and source of ride data. My son gave me a Garmin, but I have never mastered the language. Others seem most at home with it. For some reason I recently decided to replace my Cateye Strada Wireless Slim Cycle Computer. That has caused me hours of futile labour. Should be so simple.

The problem:  I use three bikes. On the Pearson and Boardman, it works as expected and records my ride data, but when I fit it to my Roubaix  it records time for about 30 seconds and then ceases to record. I have adjusted the magnet and sensor multiple times, but after 30 seconds it stop recording. Same with three other computers. I have changed the sensor. The problem persists. But just on the Roubaix.

 Cateye website no help, but I am sure that we have within CTCSWL the AI to get to the bottom of this problem and send me cycling blissfully, with accurate stats,  into the twilight.

I'm sure that you will not let me down. Just, perhaps show me what at twerp I am. 

Expectanttly yours,

Jeff

2 comments:

Mark G said...

Well, Jeff, this is at the limit of my knowledge and recollection, and may therefore be complete rubbish. As you know, I am a Garmin man, but, a very long time ago, I had a wireless Cateye.

I mounted it on a Moulton APB, which I'm sure you remember as one of the early full suspension bikes. The results were very much as you describe. My conclusion was that the Cateye was going out of range as the suspension moved.

A wired one worked, which supported my theory, but is hardly proof positive.

Jeff said...

Mark, Thank you for the fruits of your experience. They have led me, if not to the explanation of my dilemma, but to a possible resolution.

I excavated an old wired Cateye, but did not fit it. Instead I decided to use only the old sensor that came with it to teplace the new slimline sensor that was giving me so much annoyance. Hey presto, the Roubaix problem solved (it is not that springy). The Boardman has an old sensor and works.

Paradoxically, the Pearson still has a new slimline sensor - and that now seems to work impeccably. I have not taken it on a longish run, but remain bemused. What has happened?

Answers on a postcard please.

Jeff
(Flintstone Manor)

P.S. Please excuse orthos - eyes failing.