Friday, May 19, 2023

Invitation to 'A' Ride Group Caterham to Hartfield, the Magic of Ashdown Forest, train assist return

Wednesday 24th May we start from Caterham, riding mostly country lanes. At 22 miles is our lunch stop  the Anchor Hartfield. Then a visit to the AA Milne memorial, amazing views there and along the ridge, and back by the last few miles of the Forest Trail to E. Grinstead for a train assist return. Caterham to E.Grinstead train is 36 miles and 2400 ft. 

I have gone for a train assist because its a long and hilly haul to get to the Caterham start point, this route does pack in a generous amount of climbing, and we have the Ride London 100 on the following Sunday. Probably a few will ride all the way back, (Pat W, trainees for LEJOG, ??), but not me this time, nor Dave W. sub-leading.    

Some more details .Once past Dormans hopefully the route is new to most of you.


I reccied it on Monday and it was a delight. Caterham to lunch is 22 miles. When I arrived at the Anchor on Monday I had that 'deja vu' .. that I'd been there before with Wayfarers, but I can't find a trace of it in the blogs or my Strava, so hopefully this *is* new to most of you. Refreshed with a "100 Acre" lager at the Anchor I did the steady climb to near the Enchanted Wood, to visit the memorial to AA Milne, which records of him "he captured the magic of  Ashdown Forest and gave it to the world". Perhaps Pooh Bear is too innocent for our times. Goodbye Christopher Robin is an excellent film which shows the other side of the coin. Highly recommended. 


Then there is the long elevated ridge (Hindleap Lane) with magnificent views over the Forest to the North Downs, and later, to the South Downs. Then the last mile of the Forest Way (hardpacked mostly smooth dirt/gravel) take us to E. Grinstead train station for Croyden E. and beyond. 

To join the ride please message me by 6pm Monday, by whatsapp or email ( neilwarland43@gmail.com ) 

No comments: