Saturday, August 18, 2007

Phil & Friends Challenge Ride. Sunday 12/08/07


It has long been my ambition to ride the above but it is a challenge in itself getting there and back, over 500mls. It was also great to revisit my old stamping grounds from where I did all my early CTC riding in the late 50's & early 60's. I last visited "God's Country" as I call it, to cycle on the Birthday Rides in 2004 and it brought back so many memories to inspire me to come back again soon. I stayed in my Aunty's caravan on Beely Moor both Saturday and Sunday night leaving me about 25mls from the 8am start at Stannington, Sheffield, for the 150km. The 100km started at 8.30am. I had chosen my MTB with off-road slicks and heavy bag, only to be dismayed by all these young riders on top of the range road bikes. Before the start Jill Kearen, Chair of Council, presented Phil with a bound book of his 10yrs as President of CTC a catalogue of all that took place in his time.

We set off with poor weather forecast towards Penistone, over the Moors to Holmfirth. Turning left to climb Holm Moss the first check was at the Victoria Inn, where I stopped and met with Phil Liggett. After a chatt I set off to accend the first big climb. It was raining and very windy and as I strugled to the summit, I stopped and sheltered behing a parked van and soon started to feel cold. However I ate a cheese and date roll, one of my old favourite bonk foods before making a rapid decent down to Woodhead, then across the reservoir dam and climb towards Glossop. At Glossop I made a pit stop (cafe) for more fuel and met lots of riders. Still basically riding on my own I set off for Chapel en le Frith and Edale. As we started to climb over Ruship Edge I was overtaken by Phil & Friends. After a long climb we reached Mam Nick and then decended into Edale for the next control. At this point 80km/50mls time was marching on. I asked Phil was he riding the 100km or the 150km? He said I always start out with the idea of doing the 150km but usualy end up doing the 100km. (See photo's). At Hope village, 55mls you either go right for anothe 4omls and over 1:5 Winnants Pass, Millers Dale Monsal Head etc or you go left back to the start to finish the 100km. It was now 2.30pm, I was shattered, turned left and finished at 3.30pm. One of the toughest rides I have done in my older life. Could I do the 150km next year not sure but not on MTB. I cheated and did remainder of course next day on my own. As for Phil he is a smashing chap and I talked to him on several occassions and he is so Friendly. Now I must send a donation to CTC defence fund. Anyone who fancies subing me is most welcome as its a sponsored event.

No comments: