Wednesday, October 06, 2010

A Group Oct 6th

Although I set off to Cobham with my waterproofs on I could soon see blue sky in the distance. So waterproofs were packed away when 13 of us headed away to East Horsley and up Chalk Lane. When we stopped to regroup at the top of Green Dene I found that one of our number was Chris, a recent recruit who I had talked to at Cobham and indicated he would go with the B Group. At the last minute he had changed his mind but on a mountain bike he came to realize that this was a bit of a challenge. So we dropped down to Shere via the ford – well 2 through the swollen Tilling Bourne and the rest of us over the bridge. Then on up Sandy Lane and left to Peaslake and Ewhurst. My planned off road stretch was abandoned in view of the soggy conditions and we went directly to the Scarlett Arms at Walliswood for lunch. The new management offer 10% off if you turn up on their nominated bike of the month – but I missed out as Specialized was last month and Ray didn’t bring the ( October) Boardman. ( See www.scarlettarms.com). Chris decided to head back at his own pace and Bob S had not come in for lunch. A beautiful afternoon followed as 11 of us rode back via Mole Street to Ockley, and from Newdigate went via Parkgate to Brockham. Some took the A25 and a few of us braved the Coach Road to Denbies for tea. The group in addition to myself and Chris were Mike M, Vic, Ray, Jeff, Toni, Rob, Ed, Bob S, John B, Mark and Graham.


Brian Greenwood

No comments: