Wednesday, October 27, 2010

News from Geoffrey Shields

I am very sorry to have missed 4 successive midweek runs in September and early October and to now have to say that I will not darken your days until the New Year.

Early in October, whilst on a group run of 10/11 riders, a mid-peloton rider fell into a large pothole (B2029 towards Lingfield). You can guess the result; 5 riders down - 1 broken collarbone, 1 dislocated shoulder, 1 broken ulna, 1 broken thumb, bruises for many, blood, ambulance, police etc. The first faller had bruises only! The CTC legal service is on the case.

Strangely, the ride was abandoned. I slowly rode off to Lingfield station - slowly because of the break to my R thumb and ulna left me with little power for the front brake. I was successfully pinned and wired up at CX Hospital and today, 16 days after surgery, I am free of the cast and sling. All should be in good repair by the second half of January so I hope for a few fine Wednesdays in February.

The Pearson Pave (c/f stealth machine that has not appeared in yr midst) has minor scratches and ruined RHS handlebar tape so the bike will be ready before I am.

Best wishes to all and as the station sergeant used to say on ”Hill St Blues”, a vg US police series of the mid 1980’s, “go carefully out there”.

Geoffrey

2 comments:

Pete said...

Thanks for the picture Jeff i did have a problem putting a face to the name

mike morley said...

Geoffrey. So very sorry to hear of your misshap and injury along with the others. Do let me know if I can help in any way and if and when you can receive visitors!
Mike M.