Wednesday, September 05, 2018

B ride to Abinger Hatch

15 set off after lunch orders had been taken.  One of my favourite routes up Hungry Hill was varied with an off road bridleway running parallel.  Pheasants are being bred in huge enclosures in the wooded areas and those that had escaped the glorious twelth ran ahead of us in flocks looking for an escape.  Up Staple Lane, down to Shere. Rejoining the A25 through Gomshall and Abinger before turning right up Feldway Road and then Water Lane to the Abinger Hatch pub.  They have had their kitchen refurbished and would do well to rethink their "toasted bagel" fillings.  I think only one person was brave enough to take the corned beef and sauerkraut option and a couple of people had difficulty seeing anything appetising.  However it was a good location for a descent turning past the old well and down Hollow Lane.  A quick cut across the A25 and we were soon on a woodland path which led to Route 22.  A beautiful route on a warm sunny afternoon running down the valley to Westcott.  Then to Leatherhead, Fetcham and tea at Stoke D'Ab.  Thank you to all who joined me , cornered, and helped map read in the woodland to get us on R22.  And to Tim for back marking and commiserations for suffering the only injury of the day - a wasp/bee sting to the inside of his cheek.  No lasting damage as cake was enjoyed at T!

2 comments:

mike morley said...

Stephanie it was great to join you today I enjoyed the ride but was disappointing I did not bag a pheasant or two! Actually I think that the glorious 12th is more about Grouse than Pheasant but I stand corrected.
For me the ride after lunch enabled me to Recce the reverse of part of the Hilly 50 route for this Saturday 8th September, signing on at Rykas at 9.30am for a 10am start. Please join in, I am hopeful that the rain forecast will not arrive until after the finish atop Box Hill between 12noon and 2pm.
The good news is that Sheephouse Lane is clear as is Logmore Lane, so all that remains for me know is to check out, Ranmore, Hoe Lane and White Down. Wish me luck my legs are tired but I may cheat and use my MG.
I have to say my Rubens Bagel was uneatable and so tough. The poorest value lunch in a while £12.20, no chips + pint of beer.
Looking forward to a successful Hilly 50 and thanks in advance to Terry for signing on support and Dave V for corner marking up towards Leith Hill for the right turn down Logmore Lane and hence to Westcot and then Friday Street. Have a good ride.

Steph said...

Yes . Appalling lunch and I reviewed as such on their website.