Saturday, September 08, 2018


 HELP
Does anybody speak Garminese?

 Number 2 son recently visited for his brother's wedding. He brought with him his lycra and Garmin because he wanted to cycle up the real Boxhill to compare with the virtual one he was familiar with on his Zwift. When packing for his return, he went to the bike shed to recover his Garmin and very generously gave it to me.

Since then, I have been puzzling what to do with it.

At lunch on a recent C&M ride I consulted an expert to glean a few flashes of insight. Unfortunately, he only spoke Serbo-Croat or some dialect called Garminese. I am therefore groping around to find out how to use this infernal gadget, before it goes under the hammer. 

I realise that I am testing to the limit, if not abusing, the patience and indulgence of readers of the MWW blog, to seek enlightenment. So many leaders now seem to have these tablets on their handlebars.

To come to the point: is there any Samaritan out there who can enlighten one in a state of invincible ignorance, who still lives in the age of Ordinance Survey and faltering memory. Please point me in the right direction. What must I do to make this benighted artifact realise that I live in England and not America - or the stone age?

Jeff


3 comments:

Tim C said...

Jeff, I'd love to be in a position to give you advice but as you may know I am a dedicated Memory-Map bigot, ditto Mapas de España when I am in Spain. Garminese is as foreign to me as it is to you. But there are numerous Garmin experts amongst us and I'm sure they'll soon be queuing up at Tollerman Towers to help you master your new gadget.

Simon L said...

Jeff, I can help, but, alas, I am off to Scotland for a couple of weeks. After that I will be happy to help you. Don't crush it!!!!
I have a map based on OpenCycleMap (so it's free) which you can put on the Garmin if you need maps for the UK.
Don't try and use the Garmin manual, it's useless - but Google might help you.
In the meantime, there are several other Wayfarers who speak Garminese at least to the limited proficiency that I have achieved.

Jeff said...

Simon,

You have been quoted in dispatches by Mark G, who tells me that you have some SD wizardry, that may be able to resolve my perplexity.

I look forward to your safe return from beyond the border.

And God said, 'Let there be light: and there was light'.