Friday, March 15, 2019

Narrow Gauge Railway Loxhill


Hello Pete Barnard, your article on above was very interesting. Not sure if you saw my comment but I contacted Douglas and I thought that you and those out on the Wed "A" ride might like to hear his comments:

Mike,
Interesting ....
Loxhill Farm was the location of the private locomotive collection of a Mr. Latham of Woking; he had seceral 2ft gauge 'industrial' type steam locomotives in his 'garden', and a small length of track to run them on.  He died in ca. 1998 and his collection was dispersed, but at leat one I know of is Lilla which is preserved, and still runs occasionally, on the Ffestiniog Railway in North Wales; it is a 'Quarry Hunslet' type locomotive from a quarry near Penrhyn, so she has gone back to place quite near where she spent her working life at Cilgwyn Quarry in the Nattlle valley.  There is lots more about Lilla and her history on the Festipedia Website if you want to know more.  Where his other locos went I am less sure, but I think he had at least two more.
Douglas

Mark I realise that this post will now override your TriVet announcement feel free to put it in front as only you will know how. I will sign up for the 100 mile.

No comments: